Swap software controller for 200 controller with different versions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-14 01:14:57

Say , running software version 5.8.4 and the oc200 is like 574 or something.  

I'm looking to purchase the 200, is it doable with a backup restore or something ?? I thought I saw swapping in the controller pages, but if it's running the same version. 

I have omada on my synology in docker, and it's hammering my drive non stop ... looking to have the nas settle down, thus changing to the oc200

Appreciate any information on this,  thank you for your time 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Swap software controller for 200 controller with different versions
2023-02-14 02:49:03

@JS_racer Hmmm....I'm doing the same thing (mbentley software 5.8.4 on my Synology...I'll go see if I can get some stats on how much disk i/o is going on)

In the meantime, I have gone from software to hardware controller at my other site with no issues, but in that case the donor software controller was at a lower version than the OC200.  However, I have gone from software 5.6-> software 5.8 with the same backup, so you should be at least 99% ok going from software 5.8.4 back to hardware 5.7.6.

Since you have Docker anyways....you could try all all this by spinning up a 5.7 software controller, apply your 5.8.4 backup and see what happens.  If successful, you can always make a 5.7 backup from the temp software controller to apply to your OC200....or, with any luck, the 5.8.4 for the OC200 will pop up in the next week or three....

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-02-14 03:07:10

@JS_racer 

At first glance my IOPS seem to peak in the 200/s range, however my NAS is doing nothing, and my Omada network is pretty quiet right now, and I'm just running OmadaSDN and PiHole as containers.  If you're generating so much data that your NAS is hammering away, you might be better to get yourself a USB->SATA adapter and a small cheap SATA hard drive and attach it to a USB connector on your NAS.  Let the small, quiet, slower 2.5" mechanical drive do the dirty for Omada solution...and it's probably the same price or cheaper than buying an OC200...and you don't have to worry about baking the internal flash drive in that after 6 months either ;)

Options
2023-02-14 12:03:47 - last edited 2023-02-14 12:23:11

@d0ugmac1 

thanks so much for your time. the data is very small, but constant, every 15 seconds or so lets say.. 

for example, if i have 10 movies on the nas, nothing using or accessing them, and the nas is non stop every 15 seconds.. my big usb drives just idle waiting for me to access them

https://imgur.com/a/x6pKcQB

here are some screen shots using puddy ... top is docker on with  omada running , possibly plex also... bottom is plex off, docker off. 

in docker, i have omada, a local speed test server, and portainer. so not much really  only plex in synology outside of docker, but with just 2 of us, neither are using that often. 

not sure if client logging on contributed to the activity. the nas has a ton of ram, 10gb, so good there.

before omada, the drive use to sleep. not a huge deal, just something i circle back to every couple weeks. 

thanks again 

Options
2023-02-14 14:00:51 - last edited 2023-02-14 14:04:21

nas should be idle other than omada... no one accessing media on it or anything   (not sure why the photo is borked, sorry)

Options
2023-02-15 13:12:17

Here's a 2-hr window during a quiet time on the NAS/network. My writes are consistently higher than reads...which could very well be the Docker SDN controller.

Options
2023-02-15 13:17:47

@d0ugmac1 yep, looks familiar 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 332

Replies: 6

Related Articles