VLAN tagging using TP link EAP and managed switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-17 23:30:35
Model: TL-SG108PE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, I'm using a TP link managed 8 port switch with an EAP670 access point and wish to have multiple SSIDs mapped to different VLANs. When I refer to the TP link guide (linked below), it says to make the port on the switch connecting to the router (in my case, an opnsense router) untagged. Wouldn't doing this mean that the VLAN tags are removed before reaching the router so the router won't see any VLANs? I'm thoroughly confused and assumed the port between the switch and router needed to be tagged for all the VLANs

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/418/

Options
1 Reply
Re:VLAN tagging using TP link EAP and managed switch
2023-02-18 02:08:27

@rama3124 Yes that FAQ is confusing for .1Q VLAN setup using a router for DHCP and authentication.  The key line that makes this FAQ not apply is "The Access authority of different VLANs is already configured in the Switch".  It looks like it is assuming that the switch will handle DHCP for the VLANs along with VLAN routing based on MAC, and no interVLAN connections.

For a network with VLAN isolation to the router, keep the VLANs tagged and separate on the trunk, and remove unused VLANs from ports that do not need them.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 502

Replies: 1