Wireless Network Acces when ISP is down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-23 03:34:26
Model: OC200   ER605 (TL-R605)   SG2008P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Not exactly sure if this is the right area for this post. This is more of a general question. I have the oc200 controller, er605 router, sg2008p switch, and eap670 access point connected. My question is that my network works fine when the internet is up and working, but if for whatever reason the internet from my ISP goes out, I am then unable to wirelessly access any devices. For example, I am no longer able to control the lighting in my home from my phone. I assumed that the devices on my network would function as normal, regardless of an actual internet connection. Is this just how networking works, or am I missing something?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireless Network Acces when ISP is down
2023-02-23 04:24:35

@Rich1000 

Most home control solutions out there are 'cloud' based, meaning your light switch is connected to the cloud and so is your phone.  I have automation devices from at least 4 different vendors and ALL of them use the cloud...there is no direct connect between your phone and your light switch.

The reason they do this is so you can access your stuff remotely, ie turn on the lights before you get home, pre-warm the hot tub, etc.  It's also exactly how the OC200 works when you 'cloud connect' it.  The Omada app even has different tabs for 'Cloud' access and 'Direct' access of your sites.

So when your ISP goes down, even if your phone can access the internet via LTE or whatever, your lights witch can't.  Now, if you hotspot your phone and you have a wifi-ethernet bridge attached to WAN2 and connected to that hotspot...you could turn off the lights without getting off the sofa.  You could also ring up a pretty wild data usage bill too.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-02-23 12:14:59

@d0ugmac1 but my omada is not setup for cloud access currently. For now I just have it setup for local use, so being that my phone is still connected to the wifi with the other devices, even without internet I assumed that I would still be able to control the lights. For example, shouldn't a wireless printer still work on the local network, even if the internet is down?

Options
2023-02-23 14:13:36

@Rich1000 

You are correct about the printer, because your printer IS directly accessed via the local network.  However, the home automation devices (if you were to look at their actual network connections) you would see that they have connection(s) only to servers on the internet and never directly to your phone or other local LAN devices.  So when you break the the loop to the internet and back, you break the connection between your phone's app and your light control device.

If you want survivable control, you need to use a different technology like Zigbee devices that DO work only locally, and usually via a gateway controller which you must also buy.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 221

Replies: 3

Related Articles