how you get multiple EAP's APs to stop disconnecting my Shelly Devices with Home Assistant

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

how you get multiple EAP's APs to stop disconnecting my Shelly Devices with Home Assistant

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-23 04:48:14 - last edited 2023-02-23 12:44:30

i have 2 EAP650 aps and a 225 model for outside..  and id like to add a couple more eap650s  but i having issues  i get poor signal then fair signal..   the radios are set to auto    and the 2 eap650s are about 50 feet between each other.. but i notice   that the  shelly devices are disconnecting in Home Assistant..   yet the Shellys have full bars.. so i guessing its switching back and forth between the 2 APs  how do you set this stuff up  so its supposed to be seamless.. i seen the videos of if you were in a store   going up esculator  and it works seamless thats from the tplink video.. but i cant get it.. and i havent found any videos how you setup  these up to be seamless.. i tried low midium high power..etc  but doesnt matter still disconnects. so i guessing its roaming around... how do you get to be seamless.. like cell phone towers  you dont have problems there

i also using network cable  not using  mesh.. as i plan to run POE+    but havent figure it out  so i need help with the omada controller software  to configure this seamless

as i plan to have multiple outdoor AP  and some in my shop  so id like to know how far you need to have these apart etc without having issues

are there any videos how you solve this or detailed pictures  etc.. how you maximize it

Options
6 Reply
Re:how you get multiple EAP's APs to stop disconnecting my Shelly Devices with Home Assistant
2023-02-23 16:05:05

@comet424 

Seamless roaming requires the controller, APs that support it and clients that support it.

If these Shelly devices are really just IOT things and are fixed, you could just create unique IOT SSIDs per AP, and then attach an IOT device to its local AP.  Since neither are moving, you should prevent the hopping you are experiencing.  Note that Controller 5.9.9 and future AP firmwares are supposed to support fixing a client to an AP...so we will get there.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:how you get multiple EAP's APs to stop disconnecting my Shelly Devices with Home Assistant
2023-02-23 18:31:43 - last edited 2023-02-23 18:34:03

@d0ugmac1 

oh i didnt know that..i have at the moment 2 EAP650s in my house and a eap225 outside to extend to my gate..  and i did learn  i had to click the advance and enable roaming...

but i didnt know you needed devices that support it.. i thought everything does.. as cell phones when your driving and talking on the phone it jumps from 1 cell tower to the next.. and there is no drop so i figured everything supports this stuff...   i also have many ESP32 devices too and ESP8626 devices.. but i find the shellys least a couple are having issues..  i did find in home assistant the RSSI  is signal strength  and the ones that are having issue are around -64 db where others are 70 and higher..  i also thought i could  do    if -dbs 70 and lower  bang off another AP...  i figured it was just simple set it up and your devices just worked like cell phones..

does that mean cell phones have this roaming technology and like shellys dont...   and i tried to do the MESH   so i disconnected the network cable and ran just power..  and that didnt help either how come?  so i guess those  3 base units  tplink or asus etc sell would that solve the problem but then i doubt they do vlans.. i was thinking of getting like those routers with 8 antennas and see if that would do it but they never seem to do vlans..  and i need it as i have 4 to 5 SSIDs setup 

i dont find a problem with the TP Link  Smart 1way switch  3 way switch   the 15amp Tplink Single Wifi Plug or the dual outdoor Wifi Plugs by tplink  why do they work but the shellys have issue... are the light switchs have roaming technology in them?

so much for plug and play  figured roaming technology was around for years if cell phones do it all the time.. but then i dunno  i used to pfsense and using a router as an ap for a single SSID  but i have changed over to pfsense as the router and using these tplinks  i didnt care for the unifi models  more expensive  and i dunno didnt test them enough didnt like the controller software its a pain to get it installed..

i got it running in windows.. but i wanna run it on my UNRAID server as a docker.. but apparently they running old version and tplink just released a new version so i couldnt import the config file..  as in unraid you dont need to worry to install java and make sure firewall rules are working and getting it run as a windows service at boot in a VM..  so that i know its always running.. but ill be good when it runs in Unraid Docker... the newest version

i also seen that tplink sells the business version high density..  so was thinking  it would be more powerful

so does that also mean  in hospitals you have all those access points.. but does it mean all cell phones and all laptops have this roaming technolgy in them for wifi  so thats why its seamless in a hospital i noticed

Options
2023-02-23 18:59:51 - last edited 2023-02-23 19:00:38

@comet424 

A lot going on in your last post.  Yes cellphone radio tech has incorporated seamless roaming for decades...who wants to drop a call 10 times over 50miles of highway?!

There is no one-size fits all tech each has its own quirks and benefits...

Just to be clear, you understand that -64 is a better signal than -70 right?  Think of the -64 being less awful than -70.  -40 would be super high and -90 about useless, and 60's and 70's in the sweet spot.

As for docker, have you tried mbentley's docker image?  I"m currently running the 5.8.4 version and it's solid.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-02-23 20:54:12

@d0ugmac1 

well i was just comparing things   as its my first time using multi access points instead of just one router...  and comparing it to cell towers  and  hospitals  where you see ever 50 feet an access point

so why hasnt  computer wifi ever had roaming  like its a new technology  u think we would had this same time cell phones would came out..

so do laptops and tablets do they have roaming technolgy in them    but do  cell phones have wifi  roaming built in  or is it just plain wifi also   its just roaming  cell service

and ok  so its like Temperature   -64c  is warmer and better then -70c  .. i wasnt 100% sure  as i never delt with dbm stuff.. so i figured  the closer to 100 was better.  so best is if you can damil well get close to 0dbm... 

whats funny is the -64 or so i have it disconnects  but the -80 -90dbms i getting stays connected..

so i do want 60 to 70  or even better 40 if possible... i can try moving the APs around  right now i just have them sitting on a table..  on main floor as the shellys and esp32's  are in basement  and some main floor.. and then i got the TPLink  Light Switchs and Plugs and they dont ever seem to be a problem   maybe they a higher power where as shellys and esp devices are lower power...

.. i only learned about this omada  till after  i got this.. and googling  cuz it was a pain to get it to run on windows Server as a Windows service.. i found a video that they have a Docker for Unraid.. so its running  mbentley/omada-controller v5.8.4    on unraid but windows version is 5.9.9  so unraid hasnt updated to 5.9.9 yet so i cant import the config file  ...

so i learning as i go...  least the unraid version i dont need java installed v8 or 11 and the headaches of firewall rules  i had to play with just to get it to work in a windows vm under unraid...  but i do like the docker better,,,,

but ya its all new to me ..

Options
2023-02-23 22:09:34

i found what you were talking about lock the IP to an AP  i testing that to see how well that works..  i had to find it when i was playing around clicking on the names of shelly devices  so we shall see how that goes too

Options
2023-02-24 02:32:21 - last edited 2023-02-24 02:34:34

@d0ugmac1 

so that forced ap   doesnt really work its very buggy you save the ap  you do the reconnect.. and it reconnects to the opposite ap

you can have the shelly 2 feet from the AP you set it to the AP thats 2 feet away you try reboot of the shelly the software  the AP  and you have it set to force AP thats 2 feet away.. and it connects to the one 50 feet away.  

software buggy  some will connect to the AP i labled garage..  but then it will re connect on its own to the one 50 feet away..  so software doesnt seem to be ready yet 

same if you you set an forced AP  and apply.. and you happen to re name the AP in devices.. well it doesnt rename it in the Forced AP  so it doesnt rename it across the board..  so you gotta delete  the forced AP and re add it with the new name...  so thats buggy   too

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 747

Replies: 6

Related Articles