How to setup NordVPN with ER-605 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-08 02:02:59 - last edited 2023-03-09 00:44:21
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.76748

The only way I see to setup a vpn is within my Omada software Controller's VPN setting whereby I can select Site-To-Site or Client vpn. I selected Client vpn and imported the OpenVPN config file that I downloaded from my NordVpn account. For the Remote IP and port, I entered the remote ip and port that's shown in the OpenVPN config file. It created the vpn and it's enabled, but how do I connect it?

Also, NordVPN provides a username and password for the vpn but I don't see an option in the Omada vpn config to enter it. If I go to the Vpn User tab and try to enter the username/password, there's no option in the Vpn Server dropdown to select the vpn to use. If I'm supposed to add it to the openvpn config file manually then how do I do that?  

None of my devices seem to be using the NordVPN vpn that I created in the TPLink router. Omada software doesn't even give  you any indication whether it's connected. No status. If I browse on my windows laptop to the NordVPN site it says I'm unprotected so I'm pretty sure the connection isn't working for some reason...or is there something else I need to do in the Omada Controller?

UPDATE: I see what's happening. If I create a new site in the Omada Controller then I have those options in the vpn setup (username/password) but as soon as I move my ER-605 device to the new site those options disappear. Is this a bug? The ER-605 is running the latest firmware, and so is the Omada Controller.

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to setup NordVPN with ER-605 router
2023-03-09 02:25:51 - last edited 2023-03-09 02:27:06

Just wondering, would perhaps the new beta firmware (below) add/fix the issue I'm having with the ER605 losing the vpn mode setting - username/password option (Certificate+Account)? Currently, if I move the ER605 device to any new site in Omada then those options are no longer available and so I cannot connect to NordVPN since no username/password can be specified.

ER605 V1_1.2.3 Beta Firmware For Trial (Released on Feb 28th, 2023)

Options
2023-03-10 23:52:38
I tried the latest beta for the ER-605. No difference at all so that answers my question. But I still hopefully to hear some feedback from TP-Link on why the OpenVPN mode (CA+Account) isn't or hasn't been added to the ER605.
Options
2023-03-11 11:59:30

@yorkman they have said in other threads that password authentication (your use case) is coming in a future update but they have not given any ETA that I've seen. It's been many months though if you search existing VPN/Nord posts and could be a while longer.

Options
2023-03-11 14:23:25

@dsj Thanks for this info. I have searched and seen some NordVPN posts but I didn't see anyone refer to or request any update. I thought TP-Link was more on the ball when it comes to firmware updates but I was wrong. I'm going to be more careful and try to avoid TP-Link products when the time comes to upgrade again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1910

Replies: 4

Related Articles