Site-to-client IPsec VPN: I can ping every device on the remote network, except for the Windows PCs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Site-to-client IPsec VPN: I can ping every device on the remote network, except for the Windows PCs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-12 14:50:43 - last edited 2023-04-07 03:44:35
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hi!

I finally got my IPsec Site-to-client VPN working on my router. I'm using a Windows 10 PC as the client using TheGreenBow and it's working great. For some reason, I can ping every NAS or Macs on the remote network, but not any PCs?

In the VPN settings on the router, I've set "Remote Host" to 0.0.0.0 and the "IP Pool" to 192.168.251.1/24. The remote subnet is 192.168.252.1.

Every device on the remote network has a fixed IP and again, I can ping and even share files with the NAS and the Macs computers, but I cannot do anything with the PCs.

I'm not a pro tho. I thought it had something to do with the subnet mask, but why would I able to reach some devices and not others then?

Thanks!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Site-to-client IPsec VPN: I can ping every device on the remote network, except for the Windows PCs?-Solution
2023-03-12 17:17:08 - last edited 2023-04-07 03:42:50

@Remy4409 

Okay, you didn't mention this in your original post.

And I still think it's Windows Firewall blocking you.

Also see here:

Why not turn it off (for testing only) and you will see if this is the reason or not?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Site-to-client IPsec VPN: I can ping every device on the remote network, except for the Windows PCs?-Solution
2023-03-12 20:32:45 - last edited 2023-04-07 03:42:36

@Hoamboy I'm really sorry, you were right about the firewall. I though I disabled it completely, but I forgot the disable it for public networks, thinking my remote client had the connection as private. I fixed that, so now it is private.

I can indeed connect when I disable the private network firewall. Do you know how I can authorize connections from another network through the firewall?

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Site-to-client IPsec VPN: I can ping every device on the remote network, except for the Windows PCs?
2023-03-12 16:51:13 - last edited 2023-03-12 16:51:46

@Remy4409 

Did you turn off Windows Firewall before you tested to ping?

By default, Windows Firewall blocks ping requests.

Options
Re:Site-to-client IPsec VPN: I can ping every device on the remote network, except for the Windows PCs?
2023-03-12 16:54:37

@Hoamboy I doubt that's true because I can ping any of those computers from any device when in the same location, it's only a problem when connecting through the VPN. Not only the ping, I just cannot connect any shares either.

Options
2023-03-12 17:17:08 - last edited 2023-04-07 03:42:50

@Remy4409 

Okay, you didn't mention this in your original post.

And I still think it's Windows Firewall blocking you.

Also see here:

Why not turn it off (for testing only) and you will see if this is the reason or not?

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-12 17:23:31

@Hoamboy Yes, I just did just in case, not working at all.

Options
2023-03-12 17:30:46

@Remy4409 

Okay.

I was asking as I came across Windows Firewall issues a few times already.

One of the classic ones besides emptying browser cache for GUI issues.

Maybe someone else has another idea then.

Options
2023-03-12 20:32:45 - last edited 2023-04-07 03:42:36

@Hoamboy I'm really sorry, you were right about the firewall. I though I disabled it completely, but I forgot the disable it for public networks, thinking my remote client had the connection as private. I fixed that, so now it is private.

I can indeed connect when I disable the private network firewall. Do you know how I can authorize connections from another network through the firewall?

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-13 07:45:08

@Remy4409 

No problem - glad to hear it worked now.

I guess what you need to know further is pretty much described here:

Am I right?

Options