Network elements hostname

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-13 14:49:14
Model: EAP225-Outdoor   EAP245   SG2210MP  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello!, 

I'm collecting metrics with LibreNMS, I can successfully setup SNMP on my APs and switches. The issue I have is that the device hostname is left as the device model:

eap225-outdoor

eap245

The issue is that that means several NE share the same hostname (which external tools don't like). How can I make de controller change the device hostname to the name declared in the management console?.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Network elements hostname
2023-03-13 17:52:41

@cyruspy Easy answer...simply populate the boxed field below with your ideal description

librenms

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-03-13 19:50:22

thanks for the feedback @d0ugmac1, unluckily it doesn't solve the issue. What I need is that the AP reports a different SysName, which is the OS hostname in SNMP jargon.

Options
2023-03-13 20:24:58

@cyruspy To do that I think you need to modify the polling routine.  You can change the sysNAME, you'll find it at 

OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0

Add a few lines to the poller to query your controller for the hostname and then SET the value.

I know it's a PITA to access the controller and then overwrite the bootup value for the sysName parameter so I would suggest you submit a feature request to have all Omada devices overwrite their firmware derived sysName's with their managed names.

To make things a little easier, you could just overwrite the sysName with the IP address when you are polling (or its MAC address from .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.6.2), that way you'd only be operating in SNMP, and you'd be checking/fixing the record every time you poll.

Options
2023-03-13 21:06:59

Thanks  @d0ugmac1 , or we can have a sane way of defining the network element hostname cheeky

Can you please direct me to the tool/place to ask for feature requests?. Per RFC3418 (link illegal according to the forum form), it should be the hostname. And as you mentioned, the managed name setting the hostname could be a sensible way of doing it, or allowing the change as a separate setting.

Options
2023-03-13 21:53:12

@cyruspy Second last forum in the 'Forums' pulldown.  Just create a new post there with a description of the feature/functionality, and maybe link this thread for more detail.  Then we can upvote it and try to get it on the development shortlist :)

To be clear, RFC3418 states:

sysName OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      DisplayString (SIZE (0..255))
       MAX-ACCESS  read-write
       STATUS      current
       DESCRIPTION
               "An administratively-assigned name for this managed
               node.  By convention, this is the node's fully-qualified
               domain name.  If the name is unknown, the value is
               the zero-length string."
       ::= { system 5 }

There is no hard and fast rule here that says it must be anything specific, and I do appreciate TPLink not making it "" either.

I'd be happy if they just copied or appended the eth0 MAC address of the device into the sysName field...that's a quick simple code change and far more likely to get done....and it makes it unique and the MAC component would allow you to do things like reverse the IP via ARP or DHCP tables.

Options
2023-04-17 01:00:40
Hi!, Forgot to update this thread. Request registered as suggested: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/602226
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 236

Replies: 6