Advice Needed: Upgrade current Deco setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-14 03:50:04 - last edited 2023-03-14 15:42:38
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Folks,

I have been a happy Deco user (own a 2-pack M9 plus) for 4 years and really enjoy using it.

Just upgraded my internet to gigabit (download 1.5G and upload 940M), and would like to upgrade my mesh routers to take advantage of the improved speed. 

I am looking for the best bang for my buck, buying another 2-pack WiFi 6 / WiFi 6E deco router, at the same time keeping my M9 plus and using them as WiFi extenders.

I have one Ethernet cable running from my basement (where the modem locates) to my office on the 2nd floor which I currently use it for the wired backhaul.

Looking at all the different deco models and I am lost... Also watched a couple of YouTube videos and the more I watched, the more confused I am... 

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Advice Needed: Upgrade current Deco setup-Solution
2023-03-14 15:28:48 - last edited 2023-03-14 15:42:38

@no6 

Price difference: I can't help you with that, you'll need to research what is available in your region, at what prices and so on.

Here is an example of US Deco selection: https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/

Open WiFi Standard filter and choose either WiFi 6 or WiFi 6E and see what it offers there. Then, check for prices and compare.

If you are not in the US, your region should have similar Web page from TP-Link.

My initial recommendation would be to choose Deco XE75 or Deco XE75 Pro if you do want WiFi 6E, Deco X50 or X55 if you are OK with WiFi 6. So, see which ones are available in your region, check their prices and decide on price point. Let me know your decision and I'll discuss with you in more detail each of these models.

Please also tell me brand name and model number of your ISP modem/router, I want to check its hardware specs. What I need to know is speed of Ethernet port(s) on this device: are they all gigabit or there is at least one Ethernet port with faster speed. This will help with recommendation between XE75 and XE75 Pro.

Finally, do you run your Deco mesh in Access Point mode or in its default Router mode?

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-14 16:20:45 - last edited 2023-03-15 14:06:55

@no6 

One more option for you to consider, if $400 is within your budget. 

Consider buying four X50s (2 2-packs) for the total of $440 at current sale price, decomission M9 Plus you have and cover your house with good WiFi 6 signal using four X50s.

This won't be WiFi 6E, but with gigabit Ethernet link having X50s is perfecly fine, and usually having more WiFi nodes is better, and also having consistent set of Deco nodes in Deco mesh is always better.

Meaning, you may find that two XE75 + two M9 Plus deliver worse WiFi mesh experience than four X50s.

---------------

Yes, a lot of decisions still to make, but hopefully less than before you had this conversation with me. :)

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Advice Needed: Upgrade current Deco setup
2023-03-14 11:29:44 - last edited 2023-03-14 11:32:11

@no6 

If you definitely want to have WiFi 6E capable Deco, that limits selection quite dramatically, but these are more expensive. Do you want WiFi 6E, or can settle for just WiFi 6?

Options
2023-03-14 14:40:24

Thanks a lot  @Alexandre.  for your reply!

I would be ok with wifi 6 but if the price difference is not too bad it would be good to jump into wifi 6e so that it will be future-proofed. lol

Options
2023-03-14 15:28:48 - last edited 2023-03-14 15:42:38

@no6 

Price difference: I can't help you with that, you'll need to research what is available in your region, at what prices and so on.

Here is an example of US Deco selection: https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/

Open WiFi Standard filter and choose either WiFi 6 or WiFi 6E and see what it offers there. Then, check for prices and compare.

If you are not in the US, your region should have similar Web page from TP-Link.

My initial recommendation would be to choose Deco XE75 or Deco XE75 Pro if you do want WiFi 6E, Deco X50 or X55 if you are OK with WiFi 6. So, see which ones are available in your region, check their prices and decide on price point. Let me know your decision and I'll discuss with you in more detail each of these models.

Please also tell me brand name and model number of your ISP modem/router, I want to check its hardware specs. What I need to know is speed of Ethernet port(s) on this device: are they all gigabit or there is at least one Ethernet port with faster speed. This will help with recommendation between XE75 and XE75 Pro.

Finally, do you run your Deco mesh in Access Point mode or in its default Router mode?

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-14 15:43:05 - last edited 2023-03-14 15:46:16

Thank you very much!!! @Alexandre. 

I am in Canada using Bell fibre with one Ethernet port > 1G

Just using deco in the default Router mode

Options
2023-03-14 15:52:15
I think Deco XE75 Pro is the best solution other than the price tag. haha. I will look into this. Thanks a lot @alexandre for your help!!!
Options
2023-03-14 15:52:15
I think Deco XE75 Pro is the best solution other than the price tag. haha. I will look into this. Thanks a lot @alexandre for your help!!!
Options
2023-03-14 15:57:50 - last edited 2023-03-14 16:00:23

@no6 

Makes it much easier, as I am in Canada, too.

Right now Amazon Canada sells Deco X50 2-pack for $219.99 ($50 off regular price) and I can't find Deco XE75 right away, but Deco XE75 Pro 2-pack goes for $399.99. I am looking at "shipped from and sold by Amazon Canada" offers only, of course. Not third-party merchants selling from Amazon.

Research on your own and let me know.

I can't share link to Amazon, here is screeshot for X50 deal:

Options
2023-03-14 16:20:45 - last edited 2023-03-15 14:06:55

@no6 

One more option for you to consider, if $400 is within your budget. 

Consider buying four X50s (2 2-packs) for the total of $440 at current sale price, decomission M9 Plus you have and cover your house with good WiFi 6 signal using four X50s.

This won't be WiFi 6E, but with gigabit Ethernet link having X50s is perfecly fine, and usually having more WiFi nodes is better, and also having consistent set of Deco nodes in Deco mesh is always better.

Meaning, you may find that two XE75 + two M9 Plus deliver worse WiFi mesh experience than four X50s.

---------------

Yes, a lot of decisions still to make, but hopefully less than before you had this conversation with me. :)

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 713

Replies: 8

Related Articles