SOLVED - Configuration to pass both native and VLAN traffic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-16 05:14:09 - last edited 2023-03-21 17:22:19
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.3 Build 20190430 Rel.43300(s)

I'm a VLAN newbie. In a Ubiquiti (UI) environment I have set up a guest wireless network on its own VLAN. The Ubiquiti controller configured the main UI switch so that all ports pass both native and new VLAN traffic and it all works as expected across multiple APs connected either directly or indirectly via unmanaged PoE switches. One access point, however, is connected to a TP-Link TG1600-28PS switch, so I need to set that switch up in the same way as the Ubiquiti switch. The TP-Link switch shows all 28 ports as being members of VLAN 1 on its 802.1Q VLAN page. Do I just need to add the guest VLAN ID and assign all 28 ports to it to have all ports handle both native and guest VLAN traffic since I can't tell which ports will be used for additional APs in the future? Do I select all tagged ports on the VLAN configuration page to pass both network's traffic? I'm concerned about the possibility of losing contact with the switch through a mistake because I am physically far away from the gear and have nobody technical on site to help if things go pear shaped. TIA

Answer: I created an 802.1Q VLAN and tagged both the AP and uplink ports. The Ubiquiti switch was configured automatically to tag the port to the TP-Link switch. Magic.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Configuration to pass both native and VLAN traffic
2023-03-17 08:41:29

@IvorD 

Suggest set the ports between two switches are both Tagged.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Configuration to pass both native and VLAN traffic
2023-03-17 17:26:54

@Virgo Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 348

Replies: 2