ER605 not connecting to Internet thru Cable Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-18 21:50:39
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I am having trouble connecting my ER605 router as desired.  I am only able to access it's admin interface and have it assign me an IP when another router is presently connected to same modem.

I have internet service through Spectrum.  My modem (provided by Spectrum) is a Technicolor TC8715D.  I have tried to connect the ER605 through the TC8715D managing the router via Standalone mode as follows:

1. powered down the TC8715D
  2. powered down my old router (a Linksys EA9200)
  3. connected the ER605's main wan port to the same TC8715D port I had been using for the older router
  4. powered up the TC8715D and the ER605.  

The ER605's SYS light never comes on and I am not able to access the admin interface. (via the admin address)  

I've tried multiple cables - each of which I verified have worked for the Linksys router.  I have found that if I also connect the Linksys router to another of the TC8715D's ports and power it up the ER605's SYS light does start to blink slowly and I can access it's admin interface and it does get a connection and assigns my laptop an IP.  

This is not adequate though because I don't intend for the linksys to be connected directly to the modem anymore.

note:  I have also seen another behavior.  During one sequence of reconnections and restarts I did not restart the modem but cycled both routers and had reset the ER605 and in this case I was able to access the ER605 admin but it would not connect.  The WAN was setup for DHCP/Dynmaic IP but the router did not seem to have a connection.  The connection status was listed as "dial-up failed".

I expected there might conflicts with the LAN setup if I had both routers connected but I did not anticipate having trouble working with this router without any other router present.  Any Ideas?

Thanks for any assistance

Options
9 Reply
Re:ER605 not connecting to Internet thru Cable Modem
2023-03-19 03:13:52

@amscrey what WAN configuration does your ISP Spectrum provide and how is the WAN port on the ER605 currently configured? For a cable modem/ISP, I think it's most common to use DHCP and have the "Dynamic IP" connection type configured in the ER605.

Options
2023-03-19 12:14:53

@amscrey 

TC8715D is a modem/router combo. I believe its default LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. Before you connect ER605 to TC8715D, try to change its LAN IP address to an address from a different subnet, say 192.168.1.1.

Kris K
Options
2023-03-19 15:33:24 - last edited 2023-03-19 15:34:24

@dsj 

Thanks for the inquiry/suggestion.

"what WAN configuration does your ISP Spectrum provide and how is the WAN port on the ER605 currently configured? For a cable modem/ISP, I think it's most common to use DHCP and have the "Dynamic IP" connection type configured in the ER605."

Yes, I think you are right about getting IP's from cable ISP's via DHCP using Dynamic IP mode.  I have/had configured both routers mentioned using "Dynamic IP" connection modes available in each routers WAN admin.

Options
2023-03-19 16:16:52

@KJK 

Thanks for the Reply:

"TC8715D is a modem/router combo. I believe its default LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. Before you connect ER605 to TC8715D, try to change its LAN IP address to an address from a different subnet, say 192.168.1.1."

You are correct - the TC8715D does have router capability and according to the sticker on the bottom it presents its admin on 192.168.0.1.  I think Spectrum charges for providing a router (at least sometimes) and I have never opted to pay for that service.  I think they have the device configured so the routing capability is turned down.  I have not been able to access the admin interface for the device by connecting a laptop directly.  I never see anything rendered when visiting 192.168.0.1.  

I did try changing the LAN IP and subnet used by the TP-Link router - but did not have any luck when trying that.  I tried changing the TP-LInk's IP to 192.168.2.1 thinking I would avoid the confusion/collision of administering TP-LInk ER605 and Modem using the same address (in the case the modem's admin/routing was ever enabled) and also thinking I would use the 192.168.2.xxx subnet to avoid collision with the Linksys 192.168.1.xxx subnet for this temporary period while I still am using that as a router.

The LAN config changes seemed to get applied at first.  The admin interface reset/disconnected (as I was connected via 192.168.0.1) but I was never able to connect to the admin interface on the new address (I expected to connect on 192.168.2.1) and I did not seem to have internet connectivity after making that change.  I think I tried reboot the TP-Link again alone but I don't think I tried reboot both the modem and TP-Link.  Maybe I need to try this again

Options
2023-03-19 16:42:37

Thanks to the folks trying to help me figure out what I've got wrong.

Here's an update regarding what I have done since my initial posting.

As mentioned before - I am concerned that I have ONLY been able to establish internet connectivity thru the TP-Link ER605 when also connecting my Linksys router to my cable modem.  When I have tried powering down the modem and the routers and I have only connected the TP-Link ER605 to the modem I have not seen the TP-Link's SYS light come on (or blink) and I have not seen any internet connectivity through the TP-Link in these cases.

Yesterday, after establishing internet connectivity thru the TP-Link ER605 by cycling the modem and both routers and connecting the linksys alongside the tp-link I proceeded to setup the rest of my network as I had previously planned - connecting my switch to the ER605 and hanging a bunch of devices off the switch.  Eventually I disconnected the Linksys and things seemed to continue to work.  I reconfigured the linksys as an access point (using its Bridging mode that turns off the dhcp server) and hooked it up to the switch via one of its LAN ports.

This is the network configuration I desire and it seems to be operating as desired.  My concern remains though.  If I loose power and all these devices go down, based on all the evidence I have so far I expect my ER605 will not establish connectivity thru the modem until I reconfigure my linksys device to be a router again and connect it alongside the TP-Link in order to establish its connectivity.  This would be painful.

Options
2023-03-19 17:25:00

@amscrey 

I have never heard about an ISP that would provide customers with modem/router combos and disable the routing capabilities. It's rather the opposite. Some of them make it impossible to disabled the routing capabilities. True or not, I think you need to learn what IP address and gateway you are getting from TC8715D. If your laptop is set to obtain an IP address using DHCP, it can be used to find it out. Just connect the laptop directly to TC8715D, while there are no other devices connected to the device, and check the laptop’s IP status. You need to make sure you do not have any invalid IP configuration.

I do not understand why you would not be able to connect to the ER605 admin interface after changing the router’s default IP address. It should be a piece of cake as long as the DHCP server setting are in sync with the new subnet and both the router and the laptop are restarted.

You have come up with some sort of workaround, but that’s not how it should work. If I were you, I would keep working on resolving it. It should be possible. :)

Kris K
Options
2023-03-20 05:43:48

@KJK 

"I have never heard about an ISP that would provide customers with modem/router combos and disable the routing capabilities. It's rather the opposite. Some of them make it impossible to disabled the routing capabilities. True or not, I think you need to learn what IP address and gateway you are getting from TC8715D."

Good point.

When I connect and reboot a laptop (configured to get IPv4 using DHCP) directly to the ER605 I see the router/gateway address as 192.168.0.1 w/ subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (as configured in the ER605's LAN settings) and I get assigned an IP assigned to the laptop in that subnet.

When I connect and reboot the same laptop (same config) directly to the TC8715D I don't see a router address - there is a subnet mask listed as 255.255.0.0 .  The IP starts 169.254.   When I issued a 'route get default' on the command line to attempt to see the gateway i got this message: 'route: writing to routing socket: not in table'

Options
2023-03-20 06:00:00

@amscrey if the IP starts with 169.254 that usually means no DHCP server was available to provide an IP. You should also see that the default gateway is blank/missing. You could factory reset the TC8715D to enable the DHCP server again since most devices have it enabled in their default config.

Options
2023-03-20 09:16:29

@amscrey 

Check how the WAN side of your Linksys router is configured. Maybe your ISP has some unusual requirements. Have you contacted your ISP about this issue? 

Kris K
Options