Am I on the Right Track with This Installation Process

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-23 16:51:36
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: ??

Folks, I've been volunteered to improve the network system for a church that serves and is located in an impoverished neighborhood.  The primary reason for setting up a network is because the Houston Food Bank now requires all of its food pantry clients to be registered via online web applications.

The problem is that this is a 100 year old church with concrete walls and wifi signals do not penetrate at all.  Comcast came in and installed two Arista access points at $30 per month rent for each, and they just don't work with different SSID's and concrete walls.

I am proposing tossing all the Comcast junk, running 4 or more exterior CAT5e cables from the cable modem to all the rooms used by the food pantry, then installing TP-Link EAP 225 V3's in each room, using POE.  I would use the free Omada software for configuration on these 6 or 7 access points, giving them the same guest and private SSID's so that moving from room to room would be transparent to the user.

A few rooms are upstairs and while the flooring is wooden, the transmission of wifi signals is spotty, sometimes OK, sometimes not good.  Thus, I would use 6 or 7 AP's, for example, one down and one in the room directly above it.

TP-Link is certainly a cost effective solution and would cut at least $80 per month from their Comcast bill.  In a prior life I managed a Meraki MX equipped office so I'm familiar with the networks but not TP-Link.

Does this sound like a feasible solution?  Appreciate any input.

Cheers.

Retired infrastructure project manager, now being roped into various volunteer projects.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Am I on the Right Track with This Installation Process
2023-03-23 19:10:52

@EagleHeart 

Should be OK,

I live on a farm in the UK, and have my yard, farm buildings and farmhouse covered.

i was surprised that my farmhouse is mostly covered by only 2 tplink APs 620HD in my case.

The walls are thick and the house big and long.

For roaming to work, check it's possible with those APs and you have the software controller running ALL the time.

But it ought to be OK, just make sure the channels don't overlap on each other APs.

Options
2023-03-24 13:40:03

@EagleHeart 

Old buildings with concrete walls can be a PITA to "eye out" and plan out a network.

I would suggest, firing up an AP on prem, download Acrylic Wireless Home Analyzer, and do a wireless survey.  Walk around with your laptop and see where it lays.  This will give you a 100% vision on how the wireless splashes.  

I know it sounds like a burden, but it will save you a headache in the long run.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-03-24 13:40:51

@KimcheeGUN 

In-Walls, maybe a good idea if you already have wall jacks ran and installed.  May need to put them in every room.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options