Using ER605 v2 as VPN client to IKEv2 or IPsec VPN server?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-24 19:42:03 - last edited 2023-03-27 07:58:28

Hi all,

I'm basically trying to setup my ER605 as a VPN client to connect to a UK PureVPN server. Ultimately, I want to make that VPN connection only over a SSID so that connecting to "UK" WiFi SSID, will give the connection an UK-geolocalised IP (but that I think is easy! the difficult part is getting this working as a VPN client!)

My PureVPN user account is workingon my computer  - either L2TP, L2TP over IPsec, native IPsec, or IKEv2. So the account isn't the problem.

Connecting the router using Client-to-site using L2TP (encrypted or not) seems to work. I say seems to as nothing "bad" happens, but the navigating IP to eg whatsmyip or geoplugin show my ISP IP. This is the same with my computer/mac, unless I click "send all internet traffic over VPN connection" under "Advanced" for the VPN connection on the mac (then I get the VPN IP) - how to do this in ER605?

As I can't get L2TP working because of this "send all traffic" issue (even tried a "Policy Routing" "transmission" to force all VLAN traffic to the WAN1 interface, but no

What I'm left with, which work natively on the Mac without "Send all traffic over VPN connection" is a VPN connection using either native IPSec or IKEv2, but these don't seem to be supported as Client-to-site??? IPsec is an option as a server, but it's as a client I need....

I've tried OpenVPN (TCP or UDP) importing the relevent PureVPN certificate, but that "works" as in it completely kills any outside internet usage - no pings, no anything... Using the PureVPN app on OpenVPN UDP works perfectly fine (but I have no idea how that is setup as it's the app that sets the interface on the mac)

Has anyone got the ER605 working as a reliable VPN client to commercial VPN servers? If so, which provider and which protocol? I'm willing to change VPN provider to get this to work!!

Thanks in advance

Options
2 Reply
Re:Using ER605 v2 as VPN client to IKEv2 or IPsec VPN server?
2023-03-27 07:49:04 - last edited 2023-03-27 07:58:28

@sprocket13 

Hi, there is a small issue:

sprocket13 wrote

As I can't get L2TP working because of this "send all traffic" issue (even tried a "Policy Routing" "transmission" to force all VLAN traffic to the WAN1 interface, but no

If you want the ER605 as a VPN client and send all traffic to the VPN server, you need to choose the VPN Tunnel when you choose the WAN on the policy routing page.

You can see the VPN tunnel in the WAN option once the tunnel is created successfully.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Using ER605 v2 as VPN client to IKEv2 or IPsec VPN server?
2023-03-28 19:14:18

@Virgo I think this isn't working at all because even though the router is set as DMZ, it's still sitting behind my ISP FTTH modem. All this because there isn't the DHCP "option 60" in WAN setup (but there is in LAN) to set up the er605 as the sole router communicating with the ISP, eliminating the ISP modem

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 455

Replies: 2

Related Articles