ER605 / OC200 / Omada - Static IP with Custom DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-25 04:33:03
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.7.7

I covered this in the Router thread ....  (as below)

Also when is the firmware coming for the OC200, you can't keep "working on it" version after version after version and not distributing anything to your actual hardware based version.

See below...

--------

Forgive me if this has been covered.

On most DHCP Platforms you can specify a Static IP as well as the DNS for it, it may be set to Auto being whatever is normally dished out or you can customise it.

Does the ER605 on the latest firmware or beta have this feature in standalone?  Is it coming?  I'm on a OC200 Omada, it certainly doesn't have it and I'll also post this in the Omada section as you can specify a Static IP on the Omada 5.7.4 (OC200) but no custom DNS.

I would like to use multiple DNS servers for different devices any have DHCP hand out this information, therefore as per the Omada initiative having it all handled in one spot.

Anyone want to chime in?

eg.  Some devices might use a cache server, pi hole or whatever, some go out direct, some use parental controls or a different dns filter/monitor etc.  

Options
6 Reply
Re:ER605 / OC200 / Omada - Static IP with Custom DNS
2023-03-25 12:01:36

@MrHC1983 

On the OC200 issue, there are several threads on this. Personally, I retired my OC200 a few weeks ago and moved to the Linux software controller. IMHO the hardware is end of life....

Custom DNS per client..., much simple to point all devices at your PiHole and do the per client customisation there (I use AdGuard Home, and it's straight forward)

I think it unlikely anything like this will appear on Omada as the DHCP & DNS functionality is one of the system weak points.

Options
2023-03-26 03:31:05

@Tescophil AdGuards really no different just something you have to pay for by the looks.

I generally run Pi Hole upto my LAN Cache server then off to Cloudfare.  But ultimately certain devices need to bypass Pi Hole and other devices need parental controls.  

I just think it's really silly that TPLink has these "Business Products" that have all these extra features but then lack in the most basics that normal routers have.  Adaptive QoS aka Bandwidth Control....  yeah thats a mixed one.

DHCP Server so they can apply a static IP but not dish out the DNS as well, it's like something thats done at the same time so ......

Windows Server DHCP......... can do this no problem.  Alot of routers also support it.  As it's a business solution, I would have thought it would have ADVANCED Networking, not LESS.  Those really are facts.

It's a minor thing, they should have already added it.  It's very much a scalable item but then I guess the narrow mindedness of the router suggests make a different lan port for a different network etc etc.

Either way it's something they should add, it should very much be a priority over any other information collecting and graph nonsense.  Functionality comes first.

Apart of me wants to abandon TPLink.  It hasn't been very good, the firmwares are all broken, I'm running like 2.1.2 on the ER605 now to get certain things to work and have the OC200 with the 5.7.6 .......  if it gets stuck when I make a change on the Omada where it needs to apply the change to the ER605........ sometimes if I do it too fast, make too many changes it goes DISCONNECTED.......  I have to reboot the router, then approx 1 hour later it's back to normal after a configuring rebooting, disconnecting bunch of loops.

I did look at the Windows Omada 5.9.34 sort of.....  but I do own a OC200..... I wanted the hardware for reliability as the server could go down and I may not be then able to access it remotely etc.  But TPLink seem to basically not care about their own dedicated products.

Sorry for the rant.  I just want things to work.  For now I've manually set DNS on X devices, shouldn't have to but I have.  

Options
2023-03-26 22:54:53

@MrHC1983 I've retired my OC200 and moved over to the software controller. There is a beta release or for the ER605 that fixes the disconnect issue. Finally, AdGuard Home is free.... :-)

Options
2023-03-26 23:39:02

@MrHC1983 I share your thoughts re OC200 and total lack of updates. Very disappointed that having bought  a vendor device to do something I'd done manually/ on docker before, I now seem to have to go back to doing it manually/ on docker.

Options
2023-03-27 03:52:28

Hi All,

Sorry for any trouble caused! Thank you for your all feedback.

Each firmware will need to pass a full testing phase before the release, which would take a long time. And the entire firmware development of OC200 usually takes longer time than that of the Omada Software Controller as further adjustment and optimization will be required on the OC200 firmware. Sometimes, to save time and catch up with the whole release progress, two firmware releases will be merged into one firmware release to let our users enjoy the new features as soon as possible. So OC200 will directly get a firmware release for Controller 5.9 to add all new features supported in Omada Software Controller v5.8 and v5.9.

Sorry to keep you waiting. Hope the new firmware for OC200 is available soon.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-04-07 12:23:36

Hello @MrHC1983 

Sorry to interrupt here, but I'd like to share that the beta firmware for OC200/OC300 5.9.32 was just released, you may check out this post for downloading.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 831

Replies: 6

Related Articles