EAP660HD stuck in "PENDING" state when viewing from OC200, Deletes all SSIDs upon adoption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP660HD stuck in "PENDING" state when viewing from OC200, Deletes all SSIDs upon adoption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-25 20:47:16 - last edited 2023-03-25 23:38:25
Tags: #Installation #bug
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20220118 Rel. 60852(4555)

Okay, so after wasting an entire day troubleshooting, I've learned that all Wireless networks get deleted upon adoption. I originall came here looking for help, but now asking if this is expected behavior or indeed a bug... and if its expected behavior, it should probably change.

Setup:

• OC200 2.0 |2.7.7 Build 20221206 Rel.58608

• ER605 V2.0 | Firmware 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

• TP-Link TL-SG1210P (unmanaged, no idea)

• EAP660 HD V.10 | 1.1.1 Build 20220118 Rel. 60852(4555)

---

1. Reset Controller, Router and EAP
  2. Initiate Controller and router (you can do EAP if you are on an ethernet connection already)
  3. Go to AP list (Make sure you have cloud access enabled if you are on Wi-fi or don't otherwise have a way to connect via ethernet)
  4. Notice EAP 660HD is in pending (waiting does not help)
  5. Adopt Device
  6. Notice Networks on WLAN are gone

Conditions:

• Subnet was changed to 192.168.242.1/24
  • Controller was set to static IP
  • (this was done because Modem/router "takes over" default subnet and interferes)
  • Applied work arounds in adoption loop bug notice, as it sounded somewhat similar, prior to adopting
    • Also worth noting I set up the EAP in non managed/direct mode prior to realizing that it may be adopting, but something else was happening, sorry, not going to try again, im tired)

-------

If not a bug, feature requests:

•  Do not set network to default to 192.168.0.1/24 -- Too many overbearing ISPs will cause not a great setup experience, like I went through
    • Alternatively, do smart subnet choices on initial setup, sniff the traffic in the subnet if an AP is available or check to see if anything pings back, pick something else if it does
  • Add documentation or better yet, a pop up alert letting the world know you are about to break something, especially if they're connected through it.

----

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:EAP660HD stuck in "PENDING" state when viewing from OC200, Deletes all SSIDs upon adoption
2023-03-27 10:46:34

Hello @USinIRL, 

Thanks for reporting on this issue in our community.

USinIRL wrote

1. Reset Controller, Router and EAP
  2. Initiate Controller and router (you can do EAP if you are on an ethernet connection already)
  3. Go to AP list (Make sure you have cloud access enabled if you are on Wi-fi or don't otherwise have a way to connect via ethernet)
  4. Notice EAP 660HD is in pending (waiting does not help)
  5. Adopt Device
  6. Notice Networks on WLAN are gone

Do you mean the settings configured in Standalone mode will disappear once the EAP is managed by Controller?

If so, it is normal, all settings in Standalone will be erased once the device is managed by a controller.

USinIRL wrote

feature requests:

•  Do not set network to default to 192.168.0.1/24 -- Too many overbearing ISPs will cause not a great setup experience, like I went through
    • Alternatively, do smart subnet choices on initial setup, sniff the traffic in the subnet if an AP is available or check to see if anything pings back, pick something else if it does
  • Add documentation or better yet, a pop up alert letting the world know you are about to break something, especially if they're connected through it.

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I've reported to the developer team for evaluation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:EAP660HD stuck in "PENDING" state when viewing from OC200, Deletes all SSIDs upon adoption
2023-03-27 11:25:03

@Hank21 Hi there,

to confirm whatever was happening with the pending state, happened after I did a full reset on everything independent of if I actually went into the AP or not.

The state never had changed from pending after I did the reset. the standalone mode troubleshooting was me trying to force that state to change, but it did not.

My initial assumption was that the controller management feature was disabled, or not enabling for some reason, which is why I did the initial setup to go in and change it, but that didn't seem to help either even when using the default device password and username.

I think the root issue that I saw was that there seems to be a state loop of some sort that prevents it from going beyond pending when accessed from the OC200 UI.

now once I did go into the standalone mode and set things up that way and that seemed to work and I was able to use that functionality no problem... The problems arise when I attempt to adopt during that pending state from the controller.

and again, upon adoption the experience makes it feel like it crashed and it never returned, but in reality I believe the issue is that the networks are deleted or wiped out for one reason or another, which I couldn't see until I enabled cloud access mode (due to not having ethernet).

Options
2023-03-27 11:28:51
just to note what I noted in my reddit post, I already tried to unblock ports, making sure all settings were using the same ports, added ACL rules to allow network traffic specifically to that IP group or port, and even disabled the firewall completely, which had no effect on changing the state or the ability to adopt the EAP effectively. through my endless testing, I'm relatively positive the router and the controller seem to be functioning correctly, as I troubleshooted and isolated each change one at a time over the weekend.
Options
2023-03-27 11:31:06
and just a triple confirmation here, The pending state and the adoption state and the erasure of settings would happen from a cold reset without touching anything. although I will say that erasure of the standalone SSID seems problematic in general. you should have the option to restore or maintain those, or again set to default, or at least documentation on such a thing.
Options
2023-03-27 23:41:18
I had a similar issue and yes the SSIS's do get overwritten. However, my antenna would not adopt and this was down to my Ethernet cable I was using was missing it's earth when tested, so I replaced the cable and everything worked fine from there on in.
Options
2023-03-28 07:58:09

Hi @USinIRL

Thanks so much for your full feedback and such a detailed explanation!

USinIRL wrote

In current, the entire set-up process and mechanism are such that, based on the two issues you mentioned above, we will evaluate the optimization in conjunction with all the current configuration guidance material. Sorry for any trouble caused!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 797

Replies: 6