Controller inverting input and oputput data on Radius interim updates?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-01 17:17:08 - last edited 2023-05-19 00:52:07
Tags: #Radius
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.9.31

Hi,

I have an EAP110 connected to a software controller V5.9.31, and a Radius server in the same LAN. The controller is configured to use a portal in the same LAN with authentication to my "External RADIUS Server".

Everything works fine: splash page displayed correctly, authentication on Radius is ok. However, it seems that the controller is sending wrong data in the Interim Update messages to the Radius server: input and Output data are inverted. This is an example of information sent in the Interim Update message for a session where the guest device has downloaded a lot:

(71)   Acct-Input-Octets = 1362952
(71)   Acct-Output-Octets = 44896400

(83)   Acct-Input-Octets = 1867873
(83)   Acct-Output-Octets = 135510452

I'm not new to this matter, and I use to work with many brands of access points/controllers, but this is the first time I'm facing this kind of problem. The meaning of Acct-Input-Octets is: "the number of incoming octets passed through a specific client port during one session", and vice versa for the output. So, I'm expecting that the 2 values are inverted.

Of course, on the Omada statistics page the Transmitted traffic is much higher than the Received traffic, but that's not the way it should be: in fact in this manual https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202105/20210510/Omada%20SDN%20Software%20Controller%204.3.5%20(windows&linux)_User%20Guide.pdf

you can see at page 336 that the "normal" case is when the Transmitted is lower than the Received.

Has anyone ever had the same problem?

Thank you in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Controller inverting input and oputput data on Radius interim updates?-Solution
2023-05-18 15:46:25 - last edited 2023-05-19 00:52:07

@Hank21 

I received a final answer from support, and what they say is that... I was wrong. The way Input and Output, or RX and TX, should be read is: from the NAS device to the user device, not the other way around. I must say that we were lead to interpret these two values in the other way by the behaviour of some vendors' product, which, instead, provide inverted values. One example can be found when you search Google for: fortigate Radius Accounting attributes with wrong values.

Now, what I can say is just thank you for the time you spent on this and for the support you gave me. We are going to amend our captive portal product according to the correct meaning of Input/Output. And we will try to contact those vendors who are providing wrong values.

Thank you again

Piero

WifiGem

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Controller inverting input and oputput data on Radius interim updates?
2023-04-01 19:19:02

@WifiGem 

I had filed a ticket with a similar reporting issue some time back for switch reporting.  It seems someone at TPlink is directionally challenged...because in my book upload has always been TO the internet, and download has always been FROM the internet (to a client).  Open a ticket in the Requests & Suggestions forums, they'll likely fix it.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-01 20:25:17
I submitted a ticket right now. Thank you.
Options
2023-04-07 07:27:57

Hello @WifiGem ,

Hope you are doing well. I’m wondering whether your concern was resolved finally?

If your concern was resolved, welcome to update this topic thread and share your solution so that others may benefit from it.

We are looking forward to hearing from you again.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-04-07 09:17:30

@Hank21 

Thank you for your follow-up, however the issue has not been resolved. The ticket TKID230404500 is still without an answer, and I wonder whether anyone from TP-Link is working on it.

I look forward to receiving a feedback from support asap.

Options
2023-04-20 05:56:06

Hello @WifiGem,

Hope you are doing well. Did you have any updates on this issue?

If the issue still exists, I would like to create a support ticket for you, and escalate it to our support engineer to look into the issue.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-04-22 11:43:00

@Hank21 

Last Thursday I have received an email from Tp-Link support where they say that my request has been forwarded to the R&D department. The ticket ID should be TKID230404500

If you have the opportunity to look at this ticket and check what the R&D is doing about it, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you

Piero

Options
2023-05-10 09:02:11 - last edited 2023-05-10 09:02:46

Hi @WifiGem,

Thanks for your reply and patience.

I’m wondering whether your concern was resolved finally?

If the issue still exists, please don't hesitate to reply here and I'll escalate your case to our support team look into the issue.

Options
2023-05-16 19:55:28

@Hank21,

Thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately, I have not received any updates from TP-Link support, and it seems as though they are completely disregarding my request.

Thank you for taking the initiative to escalate this ticket, if you're willing to do so. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Options
2023-05-17 02:27:42 - last edited 2023-05-17 02:27:53

Hello @WifiGem,

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230527549, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
Re:Controller inverting input and oputput data on Radius interim updates?-Solution
2023-05-18 15:46:25 - last edited 2023-05-19 00:52:07

@Hank21 

I received a final answer from support, and what they say is that... I was wrong. The way Input and Output, or RX and TX, should be read is: from the NAS device to the user device, not the other way around. I must say that we were lead to interpret these two values in the other way by the behaviour of some vendors' product, which, instead, provide inverted values. One example can be found when you search Google for: fortigate Radius Accounting attributes with wrong values.

Now, what I can say is just thank you for the time you spent on this and for the support you gave me. We are going to amend our captive portal product according to the correct meaning of Input/Output. And we will try to contact those vendors who are providing wrong values.

Thank you again

Piero

WifiGem

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 663

Replies: 10

Tags

Radius
Related Articles