Votes

Hardware - firmware version differences within the same model line

Votes

2023-04-04 14:19:56

It would be great if TP-Link would provide more additional information for hardware-firmware versions and differences within the same model line. For example, EAP225 could be V1, V2, V3, V3.20, V4, V5. What are real differences in hardware between these versions? Some of them are compatible with some firmware releases of Omada, some not. Moreover, when you you order online, as a rule, nobody of the vendors shows the hardware revision of a TP-Link device. And TP-Link should make a must for any vendor to mention the hardware version of the available device in stock.

Otherwise buying a TP-Link device online turns into sort of win or loose - you have no idea which version you would get.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Hardware - firmware version differences within the same model line
2023-04-05 12:52:20

@VitaliyT 

100% agree 

there is only one thing to say about all those versions, complete chaos

Options
2023-04-06 08:17:20

Hello @VitaliyT ,

We have released an article to explain the Difference Between Device Minor Version Numbers (e.g. V1/V1.6)

And as for the main version like V1, V2, V3, generally, there are the differences in terms of chips and hardware materials.
And when you try to upgrade the firmware version, it usually has the notes to remind you which hardware version is applicable.

Best Regards! :) Some available EAP firmware for Early Access has been provided here. * EAP Beta Firmware *
Options
2023-04-06 10:09:00

@VitaliyT 

I understand the minor hardware revision version differences. But I do not understand why in case of major hardware changes (number of cores of a processor, increase or decrease of the amount of memory) there is no mention of that in device specifications, so that any customer could select a device which would better suit his needs. Now you have to perform a thorough search, if anybody disassembled that very device and shared pictures or information regarding hardware. And that concerns business oriented model lines!

As for the vendors selling your equipment online they make no mention of the hardware version release of the devices they sell. Even when I called a vendor by phone, he answered that he had no idea which version he was selling! The answer was just to order it and if a device would not suit me to return it!

When I called my local office of TP-Link in the Ukraine to inquire which version (hardware revision) was being sold at that moment, I received the answer that it could be any.

Actually that was the main reason for my post.

Options
2023-04-06 10:14:35

@Hank21 

I think you misunderstood this, the problem is when we as customers order a product we never know what we will get. an example, I was going to replace two ER605v1 and ordered two new ER605v2 I wrote an email and called the supplier to make sure I got the ER605v2, anyway I got the ER605v1, I had to return 2 times before I finally got the right one.

another example, the EAP620HD. here, some versions support PPSK, others do not, there is even a difference in design and size.

for us as customers, it is almost impossible to know what we will get when we order something online, there are not only small changes, there are often large changes that have completely different functions on same model but different hardware version.

in most cases, the change of version is a completely new product that should be displayed in the online stores when we buy.

So you at TP-Link are welcome to use the same model name, but you must also add the version number to the model name so that we as customers know what we are buying, now it's a hope to get right product this time and hope what we order will work together with the rest of the solution we have. 

Options
2023-04-07 13:50:17

@𝐬𝐡𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐠𝐞 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐠𝐮𝐲, 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐈 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐮𝐤𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢.   @ 𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐤, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐚𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐢𝐟 𝐭𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐝𝐮𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢 𝐮𝐤𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐚𝐳𝐢 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐮𝐦𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 (𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡, 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐡𝐞) 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐚𝐧? 𝐈 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐬𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐮𝐦𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐞𝐫𝟔𝟎𝟓𝐯𝟏 𝐭𝐨 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢𝐬? 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐬 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚, 𝐮𝐤𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐭, 𝐢𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝐊 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠, 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐢𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐜𝐭 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐙𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐤𝐲. 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐤, 𝐭𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐬𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐚𝐫 𝐭𝐨 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢 𝐠𝐨𝐯, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐱𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐛𝐮𝐠 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐚𝐬 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐍𝐚𝐳𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐍𝐚𝐳𝐢 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐦 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐙 𝐛𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐙 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐩𝐡𝐚𝐛𝐞𝐭. 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐡𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞   𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐤, 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐚 𝐇𝐢𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐩𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐥𝐲, 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞'𝐬 𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢 𝐒𝐒 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐥 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐒𝐁𝐔 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐯𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐡𝐢𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭. 𝐇𝐚𝐧𝐤, 𝐦𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐁𝐔 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐬𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐨𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐲.   Виталий, 𝐚𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐢𝐧 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞, 𝐈 𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫, 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢𝐧 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞? 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐀𝐫𝐭𝐲𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐬𝐤 (𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐢𝐭 𝐁𝐚𝐤𝐡𝐦𝐮𝐭)? 𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭? 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐝𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐲 𝐒𝐁𝐔 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐬 𝐡𝐰 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐡 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐢𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐧𝐚𝐳𝐢 𝐦𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐔𝐒? 𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐮𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐩𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐬 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐬 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎.𝟎𝟎𝟎 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝? 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐔𝐤𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐃𝐨𝐧𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐬, 𝟏𝟒𝟎𝟎𝟎 𝐜𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐥𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐔𝐒 𝐛𝐲 𝐠𝐮𝐧 𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞, 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟓.   𝐒𝐨, 𝐕𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐲𝐤, 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐮𝐦𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐭𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐠𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐲?

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 239

Replies: 5

Voters 1