mesh network through tp-link switches possible? Looping network/disconnect issues.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

mesh network through tp-link switches possible? Looping network/disconnect issues.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-05 19:07:39 - last edited 2023-04-05 19:08:41
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Sorry, posting from phone on the go....

I'm struggling to get my home Wi-Fi and switches set up with continual dropouts and network loops being detected.

The house cabling for the network and Wi-Fi is broken down into 4 sections. (order of connectivity, the links to the other switches bar one are passed through the two ports of each Wi-fi point. 

1.  ISP router -> Tenda mw6 wifi mesh point (node 1) -> tl-sg108e managed switch (A - Network "central core switch") -> Primary NAS. 

2.  Link from A -> mw6 node 2 -> sg108e (v2) switch -> Xbox, tv, laptop etc...

3.  Link from A -> mw6 node 3 -> sg108e (v6) managed switch -> tv, sky box, Bd-player, laptop etc.

4.  Link from A -> office TL-SG-108e (v6) for desktop, laptop, server etc.  (lots of traffic between desktop and server so keeping it away from the rest of the network). 

Wired connectivity seems to be ok 95% of the time, though the Sky box (set to wired connection only) regularly drops off the network for a bit and I need to tell it to connect again.  The office setup seems ok 99% of the time with no issues. 

Issues:-

The Wi-Fi regularly just seems to disconnect, even when in the middle of the house technically sat between all 3 nodes.  

Wifi node (3) - keeps disconnecting from the network and knocks out the whole ground floor.  

wifi 2 seems to be be patchy and using an Alexa dot right next to it keeps dropping out/stuttering and pausing.  

Turning on loop protection regularly shows issues and kills ports.

there are multiple amazon dots in the house but the system fails to connect between them if you try calling room to room.  Strangely you can send a voice notification, just seemingly connecting for VoIP between two of them fails...

I was thinking that the wired traffic was hopping onto the Wi-Fi as a backbone and generating a loop somehow rather than staying on the wired link.

I rejigged everything so that each stream to the main switch had the Wi-Fi points "mid stream" rather than hanging off the lower tier switches, though this still seems to be problematic.  I even tried using an unmanaged switch to consolidate the other links to isolate them from the core...

My main concerns now are :-

1.  Do my mesh nodes correctly support Ethernet back haul?  Or are they still trying to use both Wi-Fi and Ethernet to talk between each other, thereby creating a loop?

2.  Are the switches properly supporting 1905.1 for back haul?

I'm going to try and simplify the links down if I can.  I don't have the option though to daisy-chain the mesh nodes together, plus the layout of the house means that running additional cables could be a problem...  Also, all the isp connectivity and core networking is in the loft so that might affect the wifi nodes communication? 

Any thoughts?

ta,

Stu.

Options
1 Reply
Re:mesh network through tp-link switches possible? Looping network/disconnect issues.
2023-04-06 10:21:08

@Xxxyz721 

I thought it should support, I use the switch and Deco home product together, and the ethernet backhaul is OK.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 628

Replies: 1

Related Articles