EAP not active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP not active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP not active
EAP not active
2023-04-05 19:21:46
Model: EAP655-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

The OC200 controller shows the EAP655 device as 'CONNECTED'. It is Cat6 wired and PoE.

However, when I go to the device's area (25m from Archer AX6000) and do a speed test, it seems as if I am testing the router not the AP. The speed has dropped significantly 25M vs the 600M when near the router.

In the Omada Config - I changed the EAP to Static IP  192.168.0.4 and gateway 192.168.0.1

I unplugged the EAP and connected my PC. Yes, it connects to the internet.

What did I not do right?

Options
9 Reply
Re:EAP not active
2023-04-05 21:25:47

@RR_Pete 

As you are mixing the technology, namely Archer AX6000 and the Omada EAP / Controller its likely not roaming you over to the EAP, instead keeping you connected to the AX6000

In short, the AX6000 cant be managed by the OC200 controller, therefore it won't roam with the Omada EAP.  Anything connected to the AX6000 will hold on to and not move to the Omada EAP until the connection dies, this is due to the lack of roaming and would explain the drop in speed.  Basically its trying via the router and not the EAP, the EAP is not offering you any connection

To have roaming and allow the device to move gracefully over to Omada, you would need at least another Omada AP and then disable the WiFi on the AX6000.

Options
2023-04-06 01:28:58 - last edited 2023-04-06 01:29:46

@RR_Pete 

Thanks for the prompt response.

So did I set out with the wrong router?

I do have another EAP655 and can install it.
Does doing what you say "disable the AX6000 WiFi" mean the only WiFi signal is that coming from the APs? This sounds like a set back.

Should I have considered some other config?

RR_Pete

Options
2023-04-06 12:42:43

@RR_Pete to my knowledge I do not think TP Link makes a wireless Omada Compatible Router. You would need to purchase one of the Omada Routers and then have your root Omada AP connected to it. 

If you are not locked into TPlink, check out Unifi (Ubiquiti). I am in the process of switching over myself the results are superior on every level. Cost is more but it reflects in the performance.

Options
2023-04-06 13:37:47

@RR_Pete 

Maybe I should have mentioned the use of a 5 Port PoE Switch. Topology is: the switch is connected to the AX6000 and the OC200 and the EAP(s) are connected into the switch. All are Cat6 wired. Could it be the port on the AX6000 - as there are 8 of them? Double row of which I think the switch is plugged into #1. The controller is plugged into #1 of the switch.

Options
2023-04-06 13:38:37 - last edited 2023-04-06 14:06:51

The EAP655 is Cat6 backhaul ie wired.  I followed this video's process.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manuBm8SE7s

I am going to check that first IP address as I used my router's IP address but changed last digit to Static IP  192.168.0.4 .

Options
2023-04-06 22:20:58

@RR_Pete 

Hey

To be honest, in my opinion yes its the wrong router for what you are trying to achieve, but its not the end of the world as it can be used for you!

OK to in answer to your question, there is a difference between home grade and business grade hardware.   Home grade hardware like the AX6000 combines all features into one box (router, modem, wifi, switch etc), bit of a jack of all trades and master of none.

In a business solution this rarely the case, devices are bought specifically for one purpose, namely a router to handle the internet like, APs for WiFi, Switches for LAN.  One device failing in that case doesnt take everything down. 

So with that in mind, the APs and Controller will offer you far superior features vs the AX6000.. but only in terms of wireless.   You will still need the AX6000 for internet and switching.

Best thing to do is disable the WiFi on the AX6000 and place your spare EAP655 AP nearby as its replacement, use the AX for internet only.     Adopt both APs on the controller (if you havent already done so) then enable roaming.  This will mean that the controller is now handling all WiFi via the EAPs and they will load balance / roam you as you move around.   

In terms of the POE switch, its doing no harm where it is :)

Roaming isnt a feature really of home grade hardware, the lack of a controller in home grade means the client device is left to decide when to roam and its abysmal at it.. will hold on to the old AP until it dies then search for a replacement.  When you let a controller manage it, it tells the AP to move and will force it accross if needed.

Hope that helps!

Options
2023-04-06 22:27:09

@RickJamesBish 

As someone who works with UniFi daily, I would totally disagree that its far superior overall.    The performance is roughly the same as you get with the equivalent Omada setup, however it does have some good features like a better GUI and built in IPS, MDNS support etc..

But given their firmware issues, the constant need to replace hardware to keep supported (even more so than Omada) and the recent data breach... its far from superior and costs a LOT more

Options
2023-04-07 16:21:00
Philbert: Huge Thanks! Its working! Your help has been wonderful. Did as instructed; turned off WiFi on AX6000 and have different SSID net for the 2 EAPs. Speed in proximity is well over 350 (on 1GHz supply). 40ft away (15m) line of sight, still has good numbers. However, go into a room with door closed and the numbers drop to less than 100. Should I be considering more EAP655s or are there business grades that should replace these. I really don't want to do a lot of hauling Cat6 to other spots. Or should I look at Mesh? [also avail on Rip.Peterman@ gmail]
Options
2023-04-07 23:40:26

@RR_Pete 

Mesh is an option if you just enable it on the controller and then position the AP as needed, however remember it wont be as fast as a cable connection so it will be a tad slower.  if going for mesh choose the higher models for the root AP to keep throughput at a max

Happy days, glad you got sorted anyways!   The omada wifi does work well overall, I rate it quite highly.

Options