Port configuration on switch for Omada Software Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-09 21:05:34

Hi,

I have some EAP's and a Omada Software Contoller hosted on my own hardware conected via a lan cable to a non TP-Link switch.

My router is also a non TP-Link device.

Router, Switch, Omada Controller and the EAP's are in the same management subnet 192.168.1.0/24 (VLAN1).

In the Omada Controller I added also a VLAN 10, 20 and 30 to the wired LAN settings.

I also would like to use the WLAN Roaming, which will be manged by the controller.

How must the switch port of a non TP-Link device be configured?

Do I only need VLAN 1 as untaged on this port or do I need also the other VLANs as tagged ports on the switch, so ALL?

Regards

UB

Options
5 Reply
Re:Port configuration on switch for Omada Software Controller
2023-04-10 11:19:37

@ubittner 

Hello, To make the wireless VLAN work properly for Omada EAP, both the Router and the Switch should be VLAN capable.
If the network topology is like "Router (Port1) ----(Port2) Switch (Port3) ---- EAP )))((( SSID1 vlan10, SSID2 vlan20",

Then the Port1, Port2, and Port3 should all have VLAN10 & VLAN20 tagged.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-04-10 12:36:24 - last edited 2023-04-10 12:40:13

@Virgo 

Thank you for your answer, which make sense.

I use a non TP-Link Router so in Omada Software controller VLAN 10 and 20 are VLANs only and not interfaces.

But whats about the controller itself.

e.g.

Router (Port1) <----> (Port2) Switch (Port3) <----> EAP

Switch (Port4) <----> Host for Omada Software Controller

Does the port of the switch (Port 4), where the controller is connected to, also need the tagged VLAN 10 and 20, or is management lan sufficient without any tagged VLANs?

Or does the Omada software controller only "talk" via management lan (VLAN 1) with other TP-Link devices?

Options
2023-04-11 02:05:52

@ubittner 

I thought the controller should be in the management VLAN which is the default VLAN1.

Options
2023-04-11 04:19:37

@Virgo 

Yes, he is in VLAN 1. So does he need also VLAN 10 and 20 ord does the controller always need VLAN 1 only?

Options
2023-04-12 02:44:39

@ubittner 

Hi, I have drawn a picture for you.

1. You don't need to set the VLAN on the router and the wired network on the controller, because you don't set them in a different interface.

2. The port between the switch and controller should be Untagged.

3. If you set it as above picture, the client devices will be in the different VLAN which connects to the EAP's 3 SSIDs.

Options