Votes

ER605v1 : missing username and password fields in Ikev2 VPN options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-15 11:56:48 - last edited 2023-04-23 05:38:48
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20230413 Rel.55948

Hi all,

I want to use IKev2 protocol to connect from a PC on the internet and running WIndows 11 to my ER605 router (and LAN), but apparently I can't do it because Windows 11 built-in vpn client only proposes for authentication: either a dedicated chip, or user/password, or a certificate. Unfortunately ER605 only proposes the preshared key :-(

So it would be great if Tp-Link could add the possibility, using IKev2, to define an authentication method consistent with what Windows 11 proposes - in particular either defining a user/password, or sharing a certificate.

At this time I manage to connect from my PC using openvpn alternative, but I don't find very handy to have to use an additional app to be able to connect to my vpn.

Many thanks in advance if my request can be considered,

Best regards

Benjamin

Options
4 Reply
Re:ER605v1 : missing username and password fields in Ikev2 VPN options
2023-04-23 05:43:00

Hi all,  a little up to have feedback. Did anybody manage to connect to the router with a PC running windows with Ikev2 protocol ?

thanks in advance !

Options
2023-04-26 04:45:35 - last edited 2023-04-26 04:45:54

@Fae  hi Fae, any chance to have username and password option added for IKev2 connection to the router ? At this stage with the recent addition of sha2 and dh14 I could connect with an iPhone using IKev2, but not with my PC running Windows 11, as it does not accept the preshared key option, which is the only one proposed now. It is a pity because other protocols than IKev2 are less adapted in my opinion (IKev2 is more secure than L2TP/IPSec, and OpenVPN requires the use of a dedicated app, which is less handy). Thanks in advance !

Options
2023-04-26 07:38:13

Hello @Ben-91

Ben-91 wrote

@Fae  hi Fae, any chance to have username and password option added for IKev2 connection to the router ?

Thank you for your valuable feedback! Sorry that the Windows OS doesn't support IKEv2 connection with pre-shared key.

As far as I know, there is no further plan on the ER605 V1 (just for your information reference, not a guarantee or promise). Anyway, your feature request has been recorded for further evaluation.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-04-26 18:40:03

@Fae thanks for your answer ! I think IKev2 compatibility with Windows OS should be a priority and hope it will be implemented, even for 1st hour customers owning v1 version ! 😊

otherwise I may consider upgrading but it would be somewhat frustrating that such software improvement is not made available to all ER605 owners (in particular for a really not exotic request 😊).

By the way, many thanks for the few other improvements implemented after some suggestions I made, your support and continuous improvement impressed me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 449

Replies: 4

Voters 2