Software controller in tray?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-23 11:03:22
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello is there any option in software controller to autostart?

And if yes can he goes to tray somehow?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Software controller in tray?
2023-04-23 13:29:10

@dbSoft 

I'm pretty sure it does run as a Windows Service, so it does start on boot up.  You can verify this by checking to see if the ports are active after booting Windows, and before launching the web-based GUI for the SDN Controller.  If the Omada ports are active...you have your answer.

If not, it should be relatively easy to install the software as a windows service (but the whole point of the controller is that it is a service not an application...)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-23 15:31:21
Yes i know you can start as windows service. But i couldnt find anything to start as software.
Options
2023-04-23 18:06:50
Guess, I'm trying to wrap my head around your ask. Do you mean easy access to the web UI, or do you mean to only run the Controller when you click on it? If the latter reason, what possible use case might that have? If you are only using the controller for static config and updates (the latter reason), then I suppose the easiest way of only firing it up when needed would be in a container of some sort, like a Linux VM which can be run on your Windows box on something like vmWare Player or Oracle Virtualbox.
Options
2023-04-23 18:23:35 - last edited 2023-04-23 18:24:30

I need controller to fire up in tray when windows start.but not as service.

I use taskscheduler to open in start up , but i need it in tray.

Options
2023-04-23 18:58:28
are you running the controller and mongodb 24/7, or only when you want it to? You should be able set both service entries as 'Manual' and then do a net start type thing to fire them up when needed. Like I said earlier, nobody conceived of this thing being an application, and to be fair, most 'Tray' items are already running (or they wouldn't be there). If you're asking for an Omada specific 'launcher' I've yet to come across one...
Options
2023-04-23 20:03:35 - last edited 2023-04-23 20:04:45

@d0ugmac1 

I want this to start at tray when server starts up. (i dont want to use to run as service solution)

Is possible?

Options
2023-04-23 20:35:04 - last edited 2023-04-23 20:36:37

@dbSoft 

LOL, you are going to make me find a Windows box to figure this out aren't you :)

From my recollection, the installer sets up the Omada and MongoDB software as services at boot up. 

You should be able to modify their startup behaviour in Windows.

• Automatic (delayed) – Service start after Windows 10 is completely booted
  • Automatic – Service will start when Windows 10 starts
  • Manual – Service will not start automatically, but it can be started by another process or device.
  • Disabled – Service will not start unless you enable it from the Services interface

Here's how to stop them automatically firing up:

How to Find and Modify Services in Windows 10

The Services interface is based on the Microsoft Management Console, which is part of the family of administrative tools in Windows. You can launch services by opening Start, typing: services then hitting Enter. Or, you can press Windows key + R, type: services.msc then hit Enter.

Services feature a very basic interface, but within it are hundreds of services, most bundled with Windows 10 and others added by third parties. At the top are menus for customizing the view of your services and changing their startup behavior.

By default, we are in detail view, which displays columns with the description, running status, startup type and Log On As.

You can create your own 'launcher' to make the services you set to Manual start when you are ready for them.

From the basics

• To start a service, type:

net start ServiceName

• To stop a service, type:

net stop ServiceName

or

Start service

To start a Windows 10 or app service with PowerShell, use these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for PowerShell, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.
  3. Type the following command to start a service and press EnterStart-Service -Name "SERVICE-NAME"

For example, this command starts the printer spooler service on Windows 10: Start-Service -Name "spooler"

In the command, replace "SERVICE-NAME" with the name of the service. Using the display name is supported, replacing -Name with -DisplayName and specifying the service's display name.

Alternatively, you can also use this variant of the command to start a service: Set-Service -Name "SERVICE-NAME" -Status running

In the command, replace "SERVICE-NAME" with the name of the service. If you want to use the display name, replace -Name with -DisplayName and then specify the service's display name.

and they all you need is a freeware tray-bound applet to run the script.

LIke maybe google this:  system-tray-icon-one-liners/2693

Options