Access point speed issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Access point speed issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:Access point speed issues
2023-05-08 15:04:56

@Philbert 

Also forgot to mention.. Contention / Congestion

Basically its when 2 APs close to eachother are on the same frequency and therefore it causes them to interfere with each other.    This causes errors and corruption of the signal and therefore has a massive impact on performance.

With 2.4ghz being really old now (released in the 90s) its far too small a frequency to avoid congestion, that is one of the reasons 5ghz took over as its a lot bigger. 

2.4ghz has 13 channels, but only 3 of these are really usable (1  6  and 11).   The reason for this, 1 will bleed into 2,3 thus causing interference there.  6 will bleed into 4,5,7 and 8 again interfering.    Keeping them apart like this stops the bleeding/overlapping.   The pic below illustrates this.

If you use 40mhz widths for more speed, then the bleeding gets worse.   You only have 1 and 11 to use.

Options
2023-05-08 17:28:31

@Philbert 

Thanks for the response.

The speed at the cable going into the AP is 250Mbps and the wifi speed from the router is 5-10Mbps. I'm getting the speeds from speedtest.net

I'd take 80mbps no problem. The AP is advertised as being good to 300mbps though.

As for the channels, congestion, etc. I have tried multiple combinations of settings and seen no significant improvement. The house is pretty remote so I would assume congestion would not be an issue?

Options
2023-05-08 17:45:01
I just did a reset and manually set the channel to 6 and gor 25mbps, back to 6 now for some reason.
Options
2023-05-09 22:43:51

@bprend86 

Hey

Sorry slow reply, busy day!

The speed at the cable going into the AP is 250Mbps and the wifi speed from the router is 5-10Mbps. I'm getting the speeds from speedtest.net

When you say the speed at the cable, do you mean your internet speed is 250mbps?   If you are using speedtest.net then its recording this in mbps.   Note the EAP115 has a Fast Ethernet network card so is limited to 100mbps over the LAN connection.  

I would advise you log into the EAP115 and see what speed the LAN is connected at, this should read 100mbps.  

When you are connected on the laptop wirelessly, under WiFi setting what speed is the WiFi card reading?    It should look like below, what is the speed?

I'd take 80mbps no problem. The AP is advertised as being good to 300mbps though.

Welcome to the world of WiFi..   Sorry but you will never get 300mbps from this for a number of reasons.

WiFi speeds are like MPG from car manufacturers, its the theoretical max under perfect scenarios in a lab.  In reality, most people get 40-60% of the claimed speeds, annoying as that is.. its the way it works! 

Furthermore, you are using 2.4ghz which is massively congested, in reality if you get 50-80mbps on this spectrum you are going well.   Honestly, if you can afford a new AP upgrade to either the EAP225 or EAP610 and move to the 5ghz range, it will massively improve things for you!

As for the channels, congestion, etc. I have tried multiple combinations of settings and seen no significant improvement. The house is pretty remote so I would assume congestion would not be an issue?

Sadly no, congestion on 2.4ghz is a real issue.  Congestion doesnt have to be from WiFi, let me explain.   Unfortunately when WiFi and Wireless tech in general started in the 90s the spectrum opened for these devices was 2.4ghz.   Therefore EVERYTHING uses it and when WiFi started this became an issue.    Microwaves, Telephones, Wireless Mice, Keyboards, Alarm Systems, Bluetooth, Zigbee and many others all work on the same frequency and therefore cause interference for WiFi, that's before you add in your neighbours WiFi.  Don't assume that cause you live far from anything its all rosey, I also live in the country and a scan of the airspace shows lots going on.   

This was one of the reasons that WiFi moved to 5ghz, really to avoid what was now a congested airspace and its always been an issue sadly.  

Options
2023-05-09 22:44:56

@bprend86 

That to me indicates a WiFi issue for sure, sounds like throttling somewhere

If you can post a pic of your WiFi Signal like above  ^^  that would help as a start

Also post pics of your AP setup for us to look at.

Options