Configure Omada controller with Pfsense

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-26 04:47:42 - last edited 2023-04-28 01:51:02

I am trying to get the EAP610 V2 to be able to connect to the internet. I am having a hard time understanding what is needed on the WAN settings page. Was wondering if I could get some assistance on this. I am using Pfsense as my firewall and router. I would like to be able to get this AP to broadcast a few different SSIDs for various VLANs. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Configure Omada controller with Pfsense-Solution
2023-04-27 12:30:17 - last edited 2023-04-28 01:51:02

@IMV8N You can ignore anything to do with 'WAN' or 'Gateway'.  Your controller will still configure the switch and APs for LAN subnets, VLANs, ACLs and Wireless network options.  You will manually need to mirror these settings on your PFsense router to 'marry' the two systems together.

So you will need to configure and assign VLAN tag info, default gateway, DNS, DHCP etc for:

10.1.60.x

10.1.50.x

IOT subnet

Guest subnet

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Configure Omada controller with Pfsense
2023-04-27 09:49:12

@IMV8N 

Hi, if you don't use the Omada gateway, you don't need to do any settings on the Internet page.

You just need to go to Wireless Networks and set the corresponding SSID and type in the VLAN number.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Configure Omada controller with Pfsense-Solution
2023-04-27 12:30:17 - last edited 2023-04-28 01:51:02

@IMV8N You can ignore anything to do with 'WAN' or 'Gateway'.  Your controller will still configure the switch and APs for LAN subnets, VLANs, ACLs and Wireless network options.  You will manually need to mirror these settings on your PFsense router to 'marry' the two systems together.

So you will need to configure and assign VLAN tag info, default gateway, DNS, DHCP etc for:

10.1.60.x

10.1.50.x

IOT subnet

Guest subnet

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-27 20:33:30 - last edited 2023-04-27 20:36:21

As others have mentioned, all of your WAN-related configs will be done on your pfSense router, not within the Omada GUI. You'll use the Omada GUI to configure your Wifi settings, SSID's, switch port configurations, etc. Port forwarding, firewall rules, and gateway/Internet settings will be handled by pfSense.

I personally run an OPNsense router/firewall combined w/Omada and I consider it the best of both worlds since OPNsense/pfSense open up a wide range of hardware that can be used for enterprise-class performance, especially in multi-WAN configs. pfSense/OPNsense give you much more granular control over your firewall, but definitely requires a bit more networking experience and knowledge compared to out-of-the-box consumer routers.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2023-10-14 01:58:56

@Shoresy I don't mean to intrude on OPs post but I have a question pertaining to this same setup. 
i have opnsense and running Omada as a software on proxmox. I have setup all Vlans and firewall rules there. I purchased an EAP 613 yesterday and I just want to make sure I am setting it up right. Under settings, LAN >>networks. Do I choose interface or vlan if I want to pass through a vlan subnet from opnsense? Thank you !

Options
2023-10-14 02:46:50

@MrTismo 

For your EAP613 - I'm presuming you are managing your TP-Link devices via an Omada controller of some sort. You would go into your Omada Settings > Wireless Networks > WLAN > Select your SSID and click the EDIT icon > Advanced Settings > VLAN (enable VLAN) > select your VLAN ID that you configured in OPNsense then save the configuration. This will allow your VLAN tag to pass through to the EAP SSID, so packets destined for that VLAN from your OPNsense router will route properly to that EAP SSID.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options