Can not reuse static IP addresses - firmware bug? (Fixed - read reply)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-26 14:05:57 - last edited 2023-04-28 14:09:14
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

I use static IP address for my devices.

Occasionally I will change an assigned address as my network changes. The problem occurs when I delete an assigned address. In most cases, the device will drop from the tab entitled 'Address Reservation' but it will still show up on the tab entitled  'DHCP Client List' labeled as 'permanent' and showing the former static IP address. This happens even when the device is no longer attached to the network and hasn't been attached for weeks.

If I try to reuse the IP address for a different device, I get an error message from the router that says the address is still assigned. I can wait until long past the IP DHCP refresh time and it still chokes up.

The end result is I can't reuse an IP address that was once assigned permanently to a device but now that device is long gone.

Is there a work-around or is this a bug in the firmware? The network has about 30 devices.

I have used assigned, static IP addresses for years with no previous problem. The ER605 is new to me. I used pfSense untii recently and like this router more. Some of the features that made pfSense attractive years ago are either now included in the ER605 or I no longer use those features. However, this problem is a show stopper as my numbering system has a pattern and the ER605 is slowly causing me to run out of IP addresses.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can not reuse static IP addresses - firmware bug?-Solution
2023-04-27 13:34:15 - last edited 2023-04-28 14:09:14

The problems appears to be fixed. 

I rebooted the router and a lot of the DHCP client list cleared out. I'm assuming it's waiting for devices to reconnect before the list fills out. The list does not include all attached devices. The PC I'm writing this on does not show up at this time. However, one that gave me problems does show up. A couple of wireless routers connected as access points, both with fixed IP addresses, do not show up on the DHCP table yet but they appear to work fine. My phone popped up, though. So you can conclude that aspect of the ER605 is not especially robust. Everything works fine, however.

The reboot cleared out the bogus table entries. I have not yet tried to reuse an IP address, however a PC that would not reflect an assigned address now appears to have it.

I can live with the router acting out like this. A reboot appears to clean out the trash entries, although I would prefer simply deleting the entry would be properly reflected in the connected devices table. 

Edit: There is no controller on the system. The router is stand alone.

Edit 2: I reassigned an IP address today. (I'm replacing a file server and changing over from pfSense made me rethink my entire numbering system.) There were no issues. The reboot cleared out the junk. This is still a firmware bug in that deleting a static IP addresses should clear the old and make it available within the firmware without a reboot. I can live with this, but it is a disappointment. 

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Can not reuse static IP addresses - firmware bug?-Solution
2023-04-27 13:34:15 - last edited 2023-04-28 14:09:14

The problems appears to be fixed. 

I rebooted the router and a lot of the DHCP client list cleared out. I'm assuming it's waiting for devices to reconnect before the list fills out. The list does not include all attached devices. The PC I'm writing this on does not show up at this time. However, one that gave me problems does show up. A couple of wireless routers connected as access points, both with fixed IP addresses, do not show up on the DHCP table yet but they appear to work fine. My phone popped up, though. So you can conclude that aspect of the ER605 is not especially robust. Everything works fine, however.

The reboot cleared out the bogus table entries. I have not yet tried to reuse an IP address, however a PC that would not reflect an assigned address now appears to have it.

I can live with the router acting out like this. A reboot appears to clean out the trash entries, although I would prefer simply deleting the entry would be properly reflected in the connected devices table. 

Edit: There is no controller on the system. The router is stand alone.

Edit 2: I reassigned an IP address today. (I'm replacing a file server and changing over from pfSense made me rethink my entire numbering system.) There were no issues. The reboot cleared out the junk. This is still a firmware bug in that deleting a static IP addresses should clear the old and make it available within the firmware without a reboot. I can live with this, but it is a disappointment. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 223

Replies: 1

Related Articles