IP Phone will not connect through the ER605

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-28 15:50:12
Tags: #IP Phone
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.1 Build 20230115 Rel.77774

I am new to the company, and nobody here knew the admin password for the ER605 router, and we needed to make some config changes. So I factory reset the router and got access to it. But now, none of our IP Phones will connect to our service provider. I have turned off SIP ALG as recommended by the service provider. I have created a firewall Access Control rule to allow the traffic on port 5060 and 5061 from any to any. But the phones will not connect anymore. I assume the previous guy here had some sort of config setting on the router to allow the phones to work, but I can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated.

Options
20 Reply
Re:IP Phone will not connect through the ER605
2023-04-28 21:57:01

@bm3 

More likely he had the phones on their own VLAN.  Are they still getting IPs?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-05-01 20:43:48

@d0ugmac1 Hi. Thanks for your reply.

They are getting IP addresses. I can connect to them via the web interface. In fact, I was even able to have the phones automatically re-provisioned from my service provider, but they just will not connect to the SIP server. They just say "No Service".

As for a separate VLAN, I don't believe so because prior to the router reset, the phones were getting IPs on our regular LAN segment. I don't believe they were using any VLANs here.

Options
2023-05-01 21:11:04

@bm3 

Can you provide a link to your providers 'Install Instructions' where they tell you that you need to disable the ALG, because doing that means that the provider and the end devices have to agree on how they will permit connections otherwise, and the phones will likely need to be able to do NAT-traversal by themselves.

I have an old Cisco ATA, supporting multiple lines which works just fine with my SIP provider with nothing other than the ALG in place.

Options
2023-05-01 21:17:48

@d0ugmac1 They instructed me to turn off SIP ALG over the phone. We are using Yealink IP Phones, and from what I've seen in their forums and support knowledge base articles, they also recommend turning it off. The issue with not connecting was happening with the ALG on by default, and turning it off hasn't changed anything.

Options
2023-05-01 21:28:00

@bm3 

Phones are wired or wirelessly connected?

How do the phones authenticate to your SIP provider?

If you install a SIP client on your smartphone, can you get it to connect to your provider with valid credentials?

Options
2023-05-01 21:47:10

@d0ugmac1 They can connect over wireless or wired. I have been testing both. Same result.

I'm not sure what you mean by how do they connect, but they are using UDP 5060 for the registration.

I have not tried a SIP client on my smartphone. Is there a generic client I should try, or should I contact my service provider for their softphone client? I think that their softphone client may not be using SIP. I think it's just a VoIP app. But my understanding of the technology is limited and I may be completely wrong.

Options
2023-05-02 03:07:23

@bm3 

Ok it sounds like the phones have IP connectivity, both locally pingable and via the internet (for provisioning by provider).

The issue must lie with the ability of the SIP device to actually register with the provider.  I think at this point a clue as to who your provider is, in order to find any idiosyncrasies with their provision of services that might be impacting.  For instance, there could be a DHCP option they are expecting and not getting from the reset router.

Options
2023-05-02 13:05:17

@bm3 I had to raise the State Timeouts on the firewall to allow sip registration to keep alive.  My yealinks are set for 5 min.  Be sure the timeouts are set for longer.  I also have flood defense turned off.

Options
2023-05-02 16:45:27 - last edited 2023-05-02 16:46:37

@smyles Thank you for your response. I have turned off the flood defense now, but I can't find where to change the State Timeouts. Can you please tell me where this is done?

Options
2023-05-02 16:47:47

@d0ugmac1 Tbh I have now tried 2 different providers. After our current provider wasn't able to help, I signed up on a trial with RingCentral and I'm getting the same result.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2398

Replies: 20

Tags

IP Phone
Related Articles