Add a 2nd SSID to several AP's, all different. EAP225's. some on Mesh, keep main same SSID.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Add a 2nd SSID to several AP's, all different. EAP225's. some on Mesh, keep main same SSID.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-05 11:04:08
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi,

I have x10 225EAP  some V1 some V3, all latest firmware, omada latest & running on a PC 24/7.

A few AP's are meshed.

I would like to keep all the AP's on 2.4ghz & 5ghz & with the Main SAME SSID so can roam as normal, as I have now.

In addition I would like each AP to have a different, 2nd unique SSID probably just on the 2.4ghz.

Read something about more WLAN groups but think need an extra one for each of the 10 AP.

Am trying locking but not so keen on that idea & the little testing I have done does not seem to be that reliable, a few devices still tend to be on a different, poorer signal AP.

The problem I have is often devices connect to the most distant AP, perhaps to one 50m away when there is one 8m away clear view & even another one 25m away, for some reason keen to hang on the what is a tiny signal & probably only connected a few minutes at a time. Have not idea why, same for wifi plugs, IP camera's & sonoff THR230 thermostats.

These might not be the smarted devices but does seem odd.

Of 20 devices I looked at the vast majority were connected to often the furthest AP.

Thanks I/A

Options
1 Reply
Re:Add a 2nd SSID to several AP's, all different. EAP225's. some on Mesh, keep main same SSID.
2023-05-05 17:52:31 - last edited 2023-05-05 17:53:50

@Bignose21 

Correct, you need a unique profile for each 'combination', so if you have 10 APs and everyone has Common plus Unique so lets say (C,1) and (C,2) and (C,3) and so on are the profiles you want.  You can create either create 10 unique profiles and assign them to each AP, or create 1 profile with all 11 SSIDs, assign to all APs and only switch on one of the ten custom SSIDs at each AP.   The latter is a variant of the approach I've been using for over a year on my 225-outdoors, as it's less work than managing a ton of discrete profiles.

Here I have 3/4 SSIDs enabled on this specific AP.  You access this menu via Devices->AP->Config->WLAN

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 251

Replies: 1

Related Articles