ER605 open ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 open ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
ER605 open ports
ER605 open ports
2023-05-21 09:24:27
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi,

This is linked to my issue with a hub for my new heating system (previous thread).

The hub IT people have asked me to check if ports 2424, 8000, 433 and 123 are open on the ER605.

How do I do this ?

Sorry if the answer is sat clearly in the 605 user docs and I shouldn't be asking here for stuff like that.

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605 open ports
2023-05-21 13:24:39

@BruntiMan 

What are you trying to do here?  Is this to allow WAN or App access?   Just asking as how you approach this is dependant on what you are looking to achieve.

Just speculating its Remote access from outside, if so look at page 73 of the user guide, what you need to do is configure Virtual Servers.  You need to set these up for each port you require to forward it to the heating system.    Basically so the router knows that if it recieves a connection on port 8000 it knows it is for the heating system.

Options
2023-05-22 12:41:45

@Philbert 

It's about the hub accessing the servers that the control company operate.  But they've admitted that the 'Link' light on the hub wouldn't be green if there was a communication problem.  So I think this is just a red herring on their side.

I've no idea why my Ring and Hue hubs work fine with the TP Link system but the heating hub doesn't.  Maybe to do with the size of the companies and their IT capability.  After I went TP Link I gave up on some Teckin smart plugs and went over to Hue.  The Teckins were temperamental before but refused to work with the TP Link setup.  Might be the same reason ??

I tried entering the heating hub IP address into the Chrome search bar but unlike other devices it just came back an error.  So I'm assuming it is a dumb box not able to interface.

The bit (amongst millions) I'm not sure of is whether a managed switch would allow me to give the heating hub a fixed IP on one of the subnets the wireless netwoks go back to.  Then if my phone and hub are both on 192.168.2 they can communicate ???

Thanks again.

BM

Options
2023-05-22 20:39:03

@BruntiMan 

Yeah it does sound like a red herring, generally nothing is blocked going out.. its more coming in.  As you say its trying to communicate with the server, so therefore should be fine as its outgoing.

My concern with this is you are trying to setup different subnets without a proper VLAN in place, that way its hard to control the allocation of the addresses as the un-managed switch wont honour the tagging.    My gut feeling is that could cause you random issues later on, if i was setting that network up with the hardware you have.. i wouldnt be doing subnets until i had a managed switch to handle them via the VLAN ports.

The Technek plugs, cant say i have ever used them but i have amazon and TP Link plugs which work perfectly on Omada / ER605.   It may be down to that specific manufacturer, or again something funky wtih your IP range

Options
2023-05-23 18:38:20

@Philbert 

Thanks for sticking with me !!

I thought I'd set up valid VLANs using the Omada app on my PC.  On top of the existing 192.168.0.x i added .2, .10 and .20

These are for the three wireless networks I set up (Main, Guest and IoT). Main runs back to .2 etc

I then have the original .0 VLAN that all the wired clients get allocated their IPs under.

This all looks OK from inside the Omada app which shows all the wired and wireless clients under the right IPs.

So I'm still working on the basis there is something in the ER605 settings or the hub that doesn't allow my phone (on .2 say) to 'see' the hub (on .0).

My Hue app on the same phone can see the Hue hub.  Same for Ring.  So is there a glitch in the heating hub firmware ??

The bit I can't seem to do inside the Omada app is give the heating hub a fixed IP on the same VLAN as the phone - say 192.168.2.200.  But DHCP might make that impossible.

Inside Omada there's Address Reservation ???

The heating people have asked me to try the hub on a simple ISP box.  I'm going to do that.  Sod's Law it will be a dud but i'm slowly learning about networks !!

BM

Options
2023-05-23 22:36:45

@BruntiMan 

Hey

Without digging into this too much, basically what you have created is 3x subnets.. not VLANs.   These operate differently and that is likely what the issue with your iphone is.

OK to keep this as simple as possible, VLANs are a virtual route via a network.  To have this working you need at least a router and a switch that are both managed.   In short the VLANs have IDs (0, 1, 2, 3 etc) but this is totally unrelated to the IP address range.   VLAN100 could have IPs 192.168.5.x for all it matters, IPs can even span over vlans.   In short VLANs have nothing to do with IP addresses, they are just ways of segmenting your network into physical zones.  As you have no managed switch, your VLANs are not fully created and therefore are really just handing out IP addresses to an un-managed switch.  Im sorry, much as you have created them, you dont have VLANs active.

Subnetting is what you have in place, this is where the devices are separated by the IP address while sharing the same physical connection.   Say you have one switch and no vlans, you could have dozens of PCs all on different subnets that wont see eachother as they are "logically" separated, despite sharing the same physical connection.    

When you give a device an IP address, say 192.168.20.20   its on the 20. subnet and will have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

This MASK controls how and what logical subnets the device can see, 255 means HAS to be the SAME.. 0 is anything.   So 255.255.255.0 means it HAS to be on the 192.168.20.xxx range, so it wont talk to 192.168.21.xxx or 30.xxx     to talk to another subnet, you need a different mask (255.255.0.0)

This is not an easy thing to understand, sorry!  

Yes in the controller, if you select a device you can set a static IP for a device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 739

Replies: 5

Related Articles