Issues when connecting to 2 OpenVPN Servers with ER605 V2 as client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-22 09:06:33
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hi,

I have an ER605 connected to 2 different OpenVPN Servers (A and B, in 2 different countries). Each VPN connection is linked to a specific wireless network so that I can easily switch VPN server, just by choosing the corresponding wireless network.

If I enable only the VPN connection A and connect via the corresponding wireless network, everything works fine and I am indeed connected to the corresponding country. If I disallow OpenVPN connection A and enable OpenVPN connection B, and switch my device to the corresponding wireless network, I am also indeed connected to OpenVPN connection B country.

But for some reason, if I enable both OpenVPN connections A & B, only the first one I enabled is working. The second one is never working, although it will show as connected in "insights". If I connect to the corresponding wireless network I will just not have internet access. It is irrespective of which connection (A or B) is enabled first. Only the first connected one will work.

What could be the issue? I see the ER605 V2 is able to handle up to 10 connections to 10 different OpenVPN servers.

Thanks and regards,

Max

Options
5 Reply
Re:Issues when connecting to 2 OpenVPN Servers with ER605 V2 as client
2023-05-23 08:04:58 - last edited 2023-05-23 08:05:12

Hello @MaxDen,

May I know if you choose the different WAN for 2 OpenVPN Clients on ER605?

If you can share some screenshots of VPN-related settings, it will much help.

MaxDen wrote

But for some reason, if I enable both OpenVPN connections A & B, only the first one I enabled is working. The second one is never working, although it will show as connected in "insights". If I connect to the corresponding wireless network I will just not have internet access. It is irrespective of which connection (A or B) is enabled first. Only the first connected one will work.

I'd also like to know how did you use both OpenVPN connections at the same time on 1 PC?

Can you ping through the server IP address from the second tunnel when the first one is working?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-05-23 08:19:50 - last edited 2023-05-23 08:21:21

Hi  @Hank21 

I use a single WAN as this is the only internet connection I have.

I do not use both OpenVPN connection at the same time on one PC. Some clients will use the OpenVPN connection A, and other clients will use OpenVPN connection B.

Both OpenVPN connections are linked to 2 different VLANs and wireless network, so depending on which wireless network you connect to, you will be behind either OpenVPN connection A, or OpenVPN connection B.

Here are a couple of screenshots of my settings.

Options
2023-05-23 08:22:00 - last edited 2023-05-23 08:27:34

@Hank21 

Also, in the below screenshot you can see that both OpenVPN connections are showing as active. However, the second one (OpenVPN UK) shows very little data usage, and if you connect to the corresponding wireless network, you will not get any internet.

If I disconnect both OpenVPN connections, and reconnect them by starting with OpenVPN UK, then only OpenVPN UK will work. OpenVPN BOD will not work.

I hope this clarifies.

Options
2023-07-10 11:21:58 - last edited 2023-07-10 11:22:28

@Hank21

Hi Hank, do you have any update on this topic?

Options
2023-07-12 02:58:51

Hello @MaxDen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230719011, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options