self hosting a vpn connection that a smart phone can connect to?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-23 05:37:50
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: N/A

Hello patrons I recently created an OpenVPN connection I could connect via my devices but when I tried to connect my mobile phone over wifi I connected with a fairly good connection but over Lte 4G connection I could not connect my device.  What are the options for self-hosting a VPN connection that will be specifically for the remote host to a Lte(4G) device please leave feedback that will help me discover an engineering solution thank you for your time and have a good year.

Options
4 Reply
Re:self hosting a vpn connection that a smart phone can connect to?
2023-06-28 11:05:38

@yubik 

It is not very clear about your issue, what is your network layout? And what did you wanna achieve?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-29 11:14:43

@yubik 

When you say it worked for you over wifi, do you mean your own internal wifi or wifi from somewhere else?  Testing from your own internal wifi isn't a valid test.  If it works on wifi outside your network, it should work on cellular as well.

What does your OpenVPN config look like?  It would be helpful if you screen shot the config and post it here.  There's nothing on the config page that's sensetive from a security perspective, just don't export the config and post it here!

Lastly, what are you trying to accomplish in the end?  If you're just looking for some basic remote access to your network, OpenVPN is very simple to setup and works well.  If you are expecting to do any large file transfers or other high bandwidth applications, it's going to suck terribly.  Due to how resource intensive OpenVPN is, you won't get much speed out of it.  Wireguard is by far the fastest option...though the implementation in the Omada routers is horrible!  If you opt for the Wireguard option, it's best done on a Raspberry Pi, a NAS, or something else on your network.  There is a bit more of a learning curve to get it setup though they've made it pretty simple in PiVPN if you can do it on a Pi.  You would then just setup a NAT rule to forward the Wireguard port to whatever device you run it on.

Options
2023-06-29 12:38:03
The open vpn client work on my network only I want to be able to connect through my VPN on a cellular network any where I want connect through my LTE phone.
Options
2023-06-29 17:02:13

@yubik 

Ok, please post a snapshot of your config so we can help determine if it's correct or not.

Options