Whole network loses internet access when I enable wireguard on omada controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-24 14:45:40 - last edited 2023-06-05 18:24:40
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hi everyone.

At my house I have an "all omada" setup.

I wanted to enable wireguard on the ER605 router, it is managed by a OC200 controller [version 5.9.32 , firmware : 1.24.0) so the configuration was done on the controller web interface.

I created a "Wireguard interface" called "Test"  and set the ip to

"192.168.10.17" <--- a free IP on the admin vlan  (I also tried using 192.168.10.1 which is the routers IP)

With that, I created  a "Peer" called "Test-Peer".

I assigned the "Test" interface to the "Peer" and set

"Allowed address" to : '0.0.0.0/0'

And copied the Public Key from my mac and put it in.

If I enable the peer I can't access the internet, from inside the network. The peer works because I can connect to it and I can see the connected client inside the omada Web UI.

But every single device on the network loses internet access when the "peer is enabled" (it doesn't matter if I'm connected to the vpn or not).

Does someone had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Whole network loses internet access when I enable wireguard on omada controller-Solution
2023-05-26 02:32:53 - last edited 2023-06-05 18:24:40

@heimdall 

You need to make sure the allowed IP address you set on the router Wireguard VPN Peers page is the same as the IP address shown on the Wireguard Client Interface page.

Look at this document to check if the settings have any trouble.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Whole network loses internet access when I enable wireguard on omada controller
2023-05-25 10:11:10

@heimdall 

Hi,  Allowed IPs is the entry for the Client to identify whether to forward data from the VPN tunnel.
This can be filled in as 0.0.0.0/0 when proxy access is required, i.e. all traffic goes through the VPN tunnel.

When you want to implement site-to-site, you have to set the allowed IPS to the real LAN segment on the Server side.
If there are multiple segments on the other side, only the mask needs to be changed.
If there are completely different segments, add the new segment and separate it with a comma.

So PEER's Allowed IPs on Client App should be real LAN segments on the Server side.

Options
Re:Whole network loses internet access when I enable wireguard on omada controller
2023-05-25 12:08:31
Hi Virgo, Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for a site-to-site deployment. I want my laptop and phone to be able to connect to my home via wireguard. I used to do it via a raspberryPi. Even if the ClientApp isn't configured properly which I think it is because I created a new vlan specially for wireguard (10.10.10.2/24) and use that as the interface on my wireguard client configuration. It doesn't make any sense for the whole network to lose internet access when the peer is enabled, even though it isn't connected. Any thoughts on that?
Options
Re:Whole network loses internet access when I enable wireguard on omada controller-Solution
2023-05-26 02:32:53 - last edited 2023-06-05 18:24:40

@heimdall 

You need to make sure the allowed IP address you set on the router Wireguard VPN Peers page is the same as the IP address shown on the Wireguard Client Interface page.

Look at this document to check if the settings have any trouble.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-05 18:25:22

@Virgo Sorry for the late reply. I was out of my house and couldn't test the new config.

It worked !

Thank you so much

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 947

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles