ER7212, SDN Software Controller bug in Voucher mgmt?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-26 05:01:50 - last edited 2023-05-26 19:55:22
Tags: #WAN Setup #Firmware Update #voucher management
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.0.3 Build 20230314 Rel.21018

I seem to be encountering an issue with Voucher based guest access when using the ER7212PC embedded  SDN controller.

The use case I am trying to implement is to have one voucher available to use for a certain number of simultaneous guests (lets say 50 simultaneous guests) OR a certain number of total uses of the vouchers (for example 50 uses of the voucher). The authorization for each guest should expire after a defined time period (for example 8 hours after they first use the voucher).

Now it looks like this should be possible through the Hotspot voucher config. However the behavior I am seeing is that when the first user's authorization expires, the voucher also expires even though the voucher's use limit or the voucher's simultaneous user limit has not been reached.

Below is an example of a voucher I created. The voucher was configured so that it can be used 999 times before it expires. Users / Client duration was set to 1 hour (for testing). So the assumption is that client using the voucher should expire after 1 hour, but the voucher itself should stay valid until it has been used 999 times. 

However as you can see from the attached screenshots, even though only ONE client used the voucher ONCE, an hour later both the the client and the voucher expired. So voucher could only be utilized once. 

How do I work around this issue? Is this a bug in the current SDN controller version on the ER7212 (i have the latest ER7212 firmware). Or am I missing some other configuration?

Voucher Configuration

Client Expiration from LOG:

Voucher should have stayed valid, but Voucher also expired:

Options
4 Reply
Re:ER7212, SDN Software Controller bug in Voucher mgmt?
2023-05-30 10:11:17

@iansari 

I thought the limited usage counts were set as 999, which means you can use the same code 999 times, and if the current client device expired, you can use the same code to connect to the portal again. So did you try entering the same code for the portal again after this client expired?

Have you tried setting the Duration longer?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-05-30 13:34:55
That was my understanding as well. But thats not whats happening. The vouchers keep expiring after the first client expires. I have tried 8 hour and 24 hours durations. Anything longer is kind of pointless for me. I think this is a bug. Not sure if anyone for the Omada team looking at this?
Options
2023-05-31 08:51:47

@iansari 

You may have misunderstood the meaning of the Duration. Check this:

If you use 999 clients connecting to this Voucher within 8 hours, I thought it will work fine. But it will expire once 8 hours have passed although you have only one client connecting.

Have you tried Client Duration, can it meet your needs?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-05-31 13:37:31 - last edited 2023-05-31 13:38:38

@Virgo Thanks but I was referring to the "Client Duration" settings. That's when the Voucher should stay valid for the number of uses specified but the client expires after the client duration has elapsed. That is not whats happening and instead the voucher is expiring prematurely.

Take a look at my screenshots. I have Client Duration selected. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 309

Replies: 4

Tags

WAN Setup Firmware Update
voucher management
Related Articles