Custom DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Custom DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Custom DNS
Custom DNS
2023-06-03 17:27:53

Hi, I've just installed Adguard home running in a LXC at home.

My router runs OpenWrt and is responsible for handing out IP addresses, i.e. runs the DHCP server.

Then I have Omada for all the access points. I have no need to isolate networks

I want to run multiple WLANs / SSID, where the regular one gets the DNS from my OpenWrt instance, whereas a custom WLAN / SSID uses a custom DNS -> in this case the Adguard server.

How do I configure this in the Omada controller?

Kind regards, Erik

Options
5 Reply
Re:Custom DNS
2023-06-04 03:47:56

@Erik 

Under Site Settings->Wired Networks->LAN

tick the 'Manual DNS Server' box.  You can configure different server combos for each LAN subnet in your network this way.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-06-04 05:09:17

@d0ugmac1 

I'm not sure I follow, if I would change the DNS for the LAN, then all my WLANs would be impacted by that change?

What I want to accomplish is to have two SSIDs in my network: 

SSID-A: Regular setup without any DNS filtering

SSID-B: Custom Ad Guard DNS 

Devices, regardless if they connect to SSID-A or SSID-B, should get full visibility/access to all my devices. Preferably, all devices should be using the same subnet.

Another thing I don't understand in the Omada controller settings, is that the DHCP server is active, and it has a range configured (192.168.0.x), but all my devices get their IP addresses from my router (which uses 10.0.0.x).

Options
2023-06-04 16:52:58 - last edited 2023-06-04 16:54:34

First things first, Omada sees a subnet as a consistent collection of IP's, same netmask, same gateway, same DHCP server, same DNS settings etc.  If you want everything in the 'same' subnet of 192.168.0,0 /24, in the controller you could create two /25 networks, ie 192.168.0,2 through 192.168.0,126 (usable) and 192.168.0,130 through 192.168.0,254 (usable).  You would set the first subnet of 192.168.0,0 /25 to use 192.168.0,1 as their gateway (or whatever the IP of the OpenWRT is) and as the custom DHCP server plus whatever custom DNS server settings you apply, and the second group would use 192.168.0,129 as their gateway and DHCP server, and a second set of custom DNS settings.  You then map subnet1 with a VLAN of say 10 to SSID1 and subnet2 with a VLAN of 20 to SSID2.  On the OpenWRT controller, you would need to also create those two subnets and make sure that the gateway and dhcp IP's map what you configured in the controller.  You also need to map those OpenWRT subnets to VLANs (10 & 20) which have to be created on both the controller and your OpenWRT router.  Then you need to configure the downstream switch to be VLAN aware.  Alternatively, buy the $60 ER605V2 and the controller will do all of this automagically for you.

Options
2023-06-05 01:07:16

@Erik 

Only Omada controlled gateways have active DHCP servers.  Some managed switches are also capable of being DHCP servers in standalone mode.

That's why you have to replicate everything you do in the controller that's gateway related on the standalone OpenWRT router.

Options
2023-06-05 02:53:17

If somebody has a router that is not under Omada Controller, nothing needs to be replicated in Omada. All those gateway settings in Omada Controller are totally useless in such a configuration. If somebody uses Omada Controller only because of APs, many people do, he/she runs into many other useless features there. No wonder people get confused or bothered.

Kris K
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 594

Replies: 5