Unknown Fail

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unknown Fail

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Unknown Fail
Unknown Fail
2023-06-06 03:09:25
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.9.3 Build 20230328 Rel.52390

Hi :)

My device had a fail this morning and my whole network went down. I have no idea why - I wasn't on site and no one was using it.  

I did log onto it when I got back, with local access through my router. It seemed to be working fine except for no access points were online. I rebooted it manually and everything came back up. 

I did see an alert saying the subnet on one EAP being changed (but it wasn't) and now I can't find it. 

Any idea what's going on? It's the first big fail I've had.....

Thanks!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Unknown Fail
2023-06-06 17:45:01

@Xa13 

Are you running an ER605v1?  If so, it looks like the memory crash I'm chasing with support.  To get around this, create a weekly reboot cycle for your router, this will prevent things gettting critical.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-06-07 08:38:34

@d0ugmac1 thanks for your reply.

No I am using eap225(outdoor) and OC200. I also have eap-610(outdoor) and eap-650(outdoor) but they were not connected at the time. 

I will set up a weekly boot cycle anyway - thanks for the good advice. 

Anyone from TP-Link got some insight? Or anyone else? Why would the whole network go down but the controller still be accessible?

To me this speaks of a controller fail. 

Options
2023-06-07 11:56:49
So what router are you using?
Options
2023-06-08 11:06:00

@Xa13 

Even though it may be upsetting to learn that your network has gone down, it does happen occasionally. Fortunately, you were able to get into your device and reboot it to get everything back to normal.

Regarding your EAP subnet change notifications, this might either be a false alarm or mean your system experienced a brief issue - especially since rebooting may have helped it fix itself.

Without further information, it can be difficult to determine the specific cause; nevertheless, network device outages occasionally occur, so perhaps this was an isolated incidence and everything will continue to function normally going forward.

Please feel free to ask further questions if you have any concerns.

revida marcos [url]https://www.multispanindia.com/[/url]
Options
2023-06-08 12:13:49
^^ AI babble.
Options
2023-06-08 12:58:50

@d0ugmac1 lol yep. 

I am using a third party router modem - high powered 4G LTE with Starlink on the WAN. 

I actually get random messages regularly (every day or two) saying saying the network is connnected/disconnected (often both at the same time) or that one particular EAP has 'come back online' when there is no interference, no power drop, and no reason for this to happen. 

My concern is if I remote deploy the controller will it keep working without someone going out on site.  

Options
2023-06-08 14:19:22

@Xa13 

Without knowing exactly how the 3rd party router is configured, I can't be sure, but I suspect it may be at least partly to blame.  Do you know if it NAT's your two WAN options?  It would be important to isolate your LAN IPs, particularly those of the APs and Controller from changes in the WAN link.  Are you meshing any of your APs?  Is there a chance there are power glitches...these would cause APs to reboot, and they could come back up on their default subnet which is probably different from what your 3rd party router is handing out.

If it was me, I'd look long and hard at how the router is behaving, and it might be easier to just add a $50 ER605v2 into your mix to complete the Omada managed solution, this would guarantee isolation of your APs from whatever the LTE or Starlink connections are doing and any WAN down decisions would be made by an Omada node.

FWIW I had Starlink service for a few months and it worked really well with the TPlink solution (605 + 225's), though I removed the starlink supplied router and just directly connected to the dish (I had the round dish with separate POE and router/wifi boxes...I understand it's a little harder to remove the Starlink router with the newer pizza box dishes).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 456

Replies: 7

Related Articles