2023-06-08 15:23:46
Tags: #Load Balancing #WAN Failover
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V2.6_2.1.2 Build 20230210

I have the following topology:

Fiber ONT <--------> ER605 WAN 

Netgear 4G LTE <--------> ER605 WAN/LAN1

ER605 LAN2 <--------> Router/Switch for rest of the house.

I have a software controller running on a PC. 

My configuration is WAN primary on Fiber, with the 4G/LTE as failover only. 

The 4G/LTE is a limited data plan, so it's use is metered, and I only intend to use it in the case of a failure on the Fiber, due to a cut or outage.

I have this set up correctly in the controller software, as best as I can tell. However it seems my ER605 is still sending traffic over the 4G/LTE link, as evidenced by the traffic counter incrementing in the LTE Modem's interface.  We aren't talking a lot of traffic, but there really shouldn't be any. 

I have tried creating a policy route that enforces traffic to the primary WAN and only go out to the failover in case of a failure, but this seems redundant, based on the defined settings of "Use Link Failover" in the other config panel.

Is this a bug or something? Is there a way to request a feature that this WAN link be left unused except only in case of failure?  There's literally no need for the controller to be sending healthcheck pings, if that's what it's doing. 

Options
13 Reply
Re:ER605 V2 and Multi-WAN Failover configuration
2023-06-09 09:10:35

@JAMCC 

Hi, I just tested my local failover network and it works perfectly, how did you find the data also goes through the backup WAN?

How did you set up the Link Backup? Did you also set the online detection and the Echo server?

If the WAN still shows online even though it has been down, click the ER605 on the device list and go to Config----Advanced, set the Echo server to check the link.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-10 02:34:37

Hello  @Virgo 

I'm using the software (PC) based controller, and it seems I have to set the echo server to one value which is applied to both WAN interfaces. My idea would have been for the ER605 to ping the gateway of this device, rather than an external address. This way, the Er605 would simply trust this unit to be online as long as the unit itself is reachable. But, I cannot specify a separate echo server per WAN link.

I can tell the ER605 is sending traffic out this device by two indicators: 1) Monthly LTE Usage: 0.59 GB used (that's all ping traffic) and the bottom, Session, 0.2MB which has incremented just after enabling the LTE modem. (I've been leaving it disconnected, and would failover to it manually to avoid sending constant pings out of it).

The desired operation would be: 

WAN - send all traffic here unless it fails. Leave WAN/LAN1 in standby mode, and don't send any traffic there unless primary WAN fails.

The observed operation is currently: 

ER605 is pinging out of both WAN and WAN/LAN1 constantly to confirm they are online.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank you!

Virgo wrote

@JAMCC 

Hi, I just tested my local failover network and it works perfectly, how did you find the data also goes through the backup WAN?

How did you set up the Link Backup? Did you also set the online detection and the Echo server?

If the WAN still shows online even though it has been down, click the ER605 on the device list and go to Config----Advanced, set the Echo server to check the link.

Options
2023-06-13 02:58:02

@JAMCC 

You can also check it on the controller:

Options
2023-11-14 17:13:52

@JAMCC Did you ever get this resolved?

I have the ER707-M2 and am using an adroid phone on google fi via ethernet tethering for my fail over WAN. I noticed it's consuming quite a bit of data even when not in use. 

I tried this setting as well but it still is using enough data that it will exhaust my 35G allocation in less than a month.

I'd like to have it fail over AND use any data ONLY when the primary is offline.

Options
2023-11-15 02:42:53

@ASPERK 

Why did you choose Always  Online if you want it as the backup wan? Tried setting as Manual, and ping a public IP like 8.8.8.8.

Options
2023-11-15 03:13:44

@Virgo I had it set to manual and noticed it was going to exhaust my 35g of data by the end of the cycle. I thought setting it to Always Online would cause it NOT to ping constantly to test for connection.

Options
2023-11-15 03:32:27
Not really. I just don't have automated failover at the moment. For the 99.9% of the time my primary is up, I don't need to be doing a healthcheck on the failover. It's wasted data charges. Minus a way to not route any traffic there unless/until needed, this is a dealbreaker. If we can request that a behavior change be logged with TP-Link, or added as a selectable option, that would be a much appreciated improvement, and it looks like the other user in this thread would benefit also.
Options
2023-11-15 03:39:12

@ASPERK 

It's weird, how did you set the link backup, the backup wan will keep offline when the primary wan is working if you set the failover correctly. Note the offline doesn't mean the backup wan is broken, it will shift to use it once the primary wan disconnected. Suggest you check more details here.

Options
2023-11-15 03:56:55

@Virgo 

And then I would watch here to see how much data is being used on LAN6

I also watched the data usage on the phone itself. They both tick up at a rate that will exhaust my high speed 35g.

I've also been looking to see if I can automate connecting to the CLI on the unit and setting up my own wan check and switching when it is down.

Options
2023-11-15 22:09:57

@ASPERK 

Update. So I decided to try this device instead of teathering a phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKTSMQFF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Pretty interesting device with it's own failover mechanism ( I'm not using ) and the ability to send SMS for alerts for failover change and data usage.

I've only had it connected for a bit but so far it seems to use WAY less data than with the cell phone tether. Not sure why yet but will update as I know more.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1641

Replies: 13

Tags

Load Balancing
WAN Failover