Brave Browser no longer useable on ER605

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-11 09:29:09
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

After updating the firmware on my ER-605 to the latest version, my Brave browser now displays a splash screen after logging on telling me that I am using "an unsupported browser" with no option to proceed.

I am having to use Edge to access my ER-605 configuration.

I have been using Brave for over 6 months to configure the Er-605 but the latest firmware now rejects it.The release notes suggest some alteration to the web UI to improve performance on Chrome, this is possibly messing with other browsers.

Brave, like Edge, is based on the open-source Chromium browser without Google's tracking.

TP-Link should not succumb to Google's take over of the web. I know Chrome is widely used but many other browsers exist and should be supported.

Any advice on how to escalate?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Brave Browser no longer useable on ER605
2023-06-11 16:58:48

@mhoam I noticed similar issue recently. After upgrading ER605 to 1.3.0, Firefox started being detected as not supported. Unfortunate decision for them to restrict to official Chrome/Edge only if that really is their intent.

Options
2023-06-12 09:23:25

@dsj 

Thanks for the confirmation, I was considering trying Firefox.

I wonder if this has been a considered decision or simply(!) an error/bug caused when trying to improve performance on Chrome.

Any idea how to escalate within TP-Link?

Options
2023-06-13 11:02:30

@mhoam

Firefox does work as expected, the ER605 on Firmware 2.1.2 signs on and is useable as before.

It was a surprise to me when a Brave Private Window also worked normally! I cleaned the cache but a normal Brave window is still rejected with "Unsupported Browser"

I suspect something in the TP-Link code is not being handled correctly rather than a specific choice by TP-Link to stop support for Brave, especially as a Private Window works!

This finding would suggest a difference between the default settings for normal and Private windows may be causing a problem, any ideas as to what?

Options