EAP615 Keeps disconnecting & re-connecting randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-15 10:09:37 - last edited 2023-06-27 20:08:57
Model: EAP615-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20230330 Rel. 73999

Hi,

I'm experiencing some strange issue with 1 of my EAP615-Wall AP's.

Let's start with providing you the full picture of the hardware:

Gateway: ER605 v2.0 (Firmware 2.1.2)

Controller: OC200 v5.9.32 (Firmware 2.9.3)

Switch: TL-SG3428 v2.0 (Firmware 2.0.10)

AP's: 4x EAP615-WALL v1.0 (Firmware 1.1.6)

The issue is that 1 of the AP's is being disconnected randomly from the controller, then it re-connects. Adoption sometimes fails but sometimes this goes without any errors.

Obviously when its disconnect, the devices which are connected to it will move to another AP. However I have now experienced that the AP SEEMS to be working just fine, but it no doesn't do anything as in terms of sending or receiving any traffic at all. So all of the devices then are "stuck" and I get the "no internet available" message.

As soon as I remove the cable from AP, then all of the devices are released and go to another AP so there is again connection with internet.

What I have done so far to check the possible root causes:

- Reboot the controller = No solution.

- Reboot the Gateway & Switch = No Solution

- Using another POE injector for this specific AP = No solution

I haven't had any time to swop this AP with another one as part of my troubleshooting yet.

So my 2 concrete questions are:

- I was wondering how I actually can have a look in the logs of the AP? Is this even possible?

- I suspect that this might become faulty, so what would the correct RMA process for this?

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

Options
15 Reply
Re:EAP615 Keeps disconnecting & re-connecting randomly
2023-06-15 14:22:16

@Unnamed.m3 

The swap with another AP will tell you if it's an AP hardware fault, or a cabling fault.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-06-15 19:12:02

Hi @d0ugmac1, Indeed.... I have now swopped the one which gave the issues with another one. Curently both of them are working without any issues so far for the last 1,5 hours. But I'll wait another 24hours just to be sure and then I'll rule out the cabling. 

This leaves me still with my earlier question: 

Is there any way to have a look in the logs of the AP?  

Options
2023-06-15 19:16:08

@Unnamed.m3 

Have a look at the Events under Logs in your controller.  You may see something there related to the AP playing peek-a-boo.

Options
2023-06-15 19:42:42

@d0ugmac1 

How could I miss that, thanks for the headsup! 

So a quick look in the logs shows that the AP with the issue:

- 90 records during the last 2 days 

- multiple "connects" through out the day and often 4 times during an hour.
- multiple "disconnects" through out the day.

- multiple "failed to adopt" after being disconnected. 

The pattern seems to be: 

Due to some reaosn, the AP "connects" and after 4 or 5 reconnect attempts, the AP is being disconnected by the controller. Then usually the adoption process starts which sometimes fails.

In case of failure, the AP trys to connect again and after 4 attempts, the AP is being disconnected again and then the whole process starts again. 

in case of a good adoption, the AP works for several hours and then back to start. 

Options
2023-06-15 19:49:36

@Unnamed.m3 

I'm leaning more towards a marginal connector crimp, or some crude on the connector itself.  It's sounds like an intermittent electrical fault to me, given that the swap seems to have quieted things down...I would still investigate further as these things tend not fix themselves ;)

Options
2023-06-15 20:05:09

@d0ugmac1 

Sure, might be the case indeed. It's a shame that I only have 1 month of logs, but if it was the cabling I should have noticed this earlier during the last year since I purchased them. (I did the cabling myself, although this is not my first cabling work, it could easily be that as well.) 

For sure I'll give it some hours / days to see how the swop will react. 

In the meantime I also adjusted the retention data of logs to 1 year.... ;) 

Thanks for your swift replies so far! 

Options
2023-06-15 20:27:53 - last edited 2023-06-15 20:28:28

LOL...well, just keep in mind that the plastic cabling is subject to temp swings and aging, so a marginal crimp can fail (particularly if one used stranded connectors on solid copper cable etc.). Same for a micro crack in a conductor.

Options
2023-06-15 20:58:08

@d0ugmac1 

The sun finally shines in The Netherlands and it's quite hot, so as Dutchie's always do... Let's blame the weather! lol! ;) 

No, but you're absolutely right. It can be a lot of things and this is why we need to have logs to understand and troubleshoot things. 

Will keep you updated! 

Options
2023-06-17 07:58:24

Hi,

As strange as it seems: After 1 day and 14 hours later, the issue has not presented itself. 

So I'll leave it be like this for the weekend and see if this will occur again. 

Options
2023-06-19 18:13:23

Just an update...

After 4 days the issue has presented itself again with the replaced AP. I'll do some more testing and also replace / redo the connector to see if it makes any difference. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1122

Replies: 15

Related Articles