The AP does not send logs if VLAN is configured

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-20 05:32:19 - last edited 2023-06-22 07:51:27
Tags: #VLAN & Multi-Networks #Client detail logs
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

I have OC200 and EAP650 (EU) v1.0 devices configured and "Client detail logs" option enabled. From both devices, the log is sent to the syslog server.

Devices are connected to Management LAN (VLAN is not set).

I have created VLAN 46 for WiFi, which is connected to the Internet.

Switches are HP.

If I set VLAN in Wireless network/Wlan for SSID, the log is sent to the syslog server only from the OC200. The log from the AP will stop being sent to the syslog server.

When I configure the EAP650 as a separate device that is not controlled from the OC200, it behaves the same, that is, the AP sends logs only if no VLAN is set. When I set the VLAN, the logs stop being sent.

Another problem I found is that the AP sends logs with the wrong time (-1 hour), it probably has a daylight saving time problem.

But I am mainly interested in how to achieve the sending of logs from an AP with a set VLAN.

Is it an AP fault or do I have something set up wrong?

I apologize for my English.

Options
5 Reply
Re:The AP does not send logs if VLAN is configured
2023-06-21 07:43:30

@tapik 

Would you be able to provide some more information on what you are seeing or how this is setup (network topology, VLAN settings, firmware versions etc)?

Any screenshots would also help. The topology image should contain the VLAN settings, thanks.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-22 07:40:51

OC200: firmware: 2.9.3 Build 20230328 Rel.52390, controller version  5.9.32

AP: model: EAP650(EU) v1.0, version 1.0.6

I have a network:  switch1 -- (port3)router(port4) -- (port12)switch2(port9) -- AP

Switches are HP C6000.

Port4 of the router, HP switch2 and AP are in the same 10.10.40.x network (witch has temporary access to the Internet for testing)

In my router (Zyxel), I have VID created for port 4: VLAN46 (network 10.10.46.x) with access to the Internet and VLAN42 (10.10.42.x network)

Each network has its own DHCP.

The syslog server is connected to switch1 at the address 192.168.5.31
I set up all devices from a PC (IP 192.168.5.23) connected to switch1.

Now I describe my experiment, when the AP is independent and therefore not controlled by the OC200 controller (but if AP is controlled by OC200, it behaves similarly).

Settings on the HP switch2:
Port9 and port12 are set to:
VLAN Mode: Trunk (Native untagged)
VLAN: 1
TRUNK Allowed : 1,42,46

Settings on the AP:
Fixed IP address 10.10.40.30 with gateway and dns 10.10.40.2
The AP is only allowed one SSID on 2.4GHz
Syslog server IP set to 192.168.5.31 port 1518 and the "More Client Detail Log" option checked

With this AP setting, the mobile phone connected to this AP is assigned an address from the 10.10.40.x network, the phone can access the Internet, and the AP has sent logs to the syslog server. I can ping the AP, HP and router from the computer and have access to their settings.

I want to separate the network for connecting to the Internet from the network for setting up the switch, and the AP, so I set VLAN ID to 46 for SSID (in the Wireless/VLAN menu), then the mobile phone connected to the AP is assigned an address from the 10.10.46.x network, the mobile can access the Internet, but the AP does not send any logs to the syslog server. I can ping the AP, HP and router from my computer and I still have access to their settings.

I tried to enable Management VLAN ID to 1 in AP and changed the port9 where the AP is connected to the HP switch to:
VLAN: 42
TRUNK Allowed : 1,46

but it didn't help.I can ping the AP a switch1 from my computer and I still have access to their settings, but the logs are still not sent to the syslog server.

Options
2023-06-25 07:55:34

@tapik 

Try to change the Management VLAN ID of the EAP to 42.
And change the configuration of Switch2 Port9 to:

VLAN: 1
TRUNK Allowed: 1,42,46

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-26 11:59:36

@Virgo 

I changed the switch configuration and AP configuration according to your advice, but it didn't help.
For testing purposes, I set the AP to be assigned an IP address by the dhcp server.
The DHCP server assigned an IP address to the AP and I can access the AP settings via the web pages,
but the logs are still not sent to the syslog server.

It doesn't work even if I set wifi vlan to 46 and management vlan to 46.

Sending logs from the AP to the syslog server only works for me in two cases:
1/ wifi vlan and management vlan are not set
2/ only management vlan is set

Does sending logs even work for someone when they only have wifi vlan set up on the AP?

Options
2023-06-26 16:25:06

@tapik 

"Does sending logs even work for someone when they only have wifi vlan set up on the AP?"

Yes, it does. To make it working, you need to have your devices properly configured, VLAN and IP-wise. If the Log server is in a different subnet than the device sending log entries, the IP routing needs to be properly set up, too.

Kris K
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 544

Replies: 5

Tags

VLAN & Multi-Networks
Client detail logs
Related Articles