Set QOS class for IP-Sec and OPenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-03 23:04:39
Tags: #QOS
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3

I am trying to set QOS classes for VPN traffic so VPN doesn't drop when doing large transfer to offsite backup. I have tried creating classes but when looking at the traffic monitor, none of the traffic seems to classified. I'm using OpenVPN for our users and IP-SEC to connect to Azure Services

Any advice welcome!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Set QOS class for IP-Sec and OPenVPN
2023-07-04 03:02:21

Hi @Matt33,

QoS does not support traffic in the VPN tunnel. That is to say, even if you set it right, it won't work at all.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-07-04 08:35:56

Hi  @Clive_A , thanks for replying. Just to clarify that it's the tunnels themselves I want to prioritise, not the traffic types flowing within them. Under heavy non-VPN load on the line, the VPN drops

Options
2023-07-04 09:42:27

@Matt33 

Unfortunately, it does not either. I will report this to the dev team for further evaluation. Thanks for your feedback!

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-07-04 10:15:46

@Clive_A could I bandwidth control to achieve this ? If I set LAN to max at 90% line capacity, would the VPN traffic have use of the remaining 10% as the tunnel ends on the router or does it get included in the LAN network limit?

Options
2023-07-05 01:29:44

Hi @Matt33,

You can try this with your own parameters first and test it. Since VPN traffic is separate from the normal traffic, and bandwidth indeed can limit the throughput of your in/outbound traffic, this could be a workaround yet we have not verified this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 523

Replies: 5

Tags

QOS
Related Articles