Adopting backup WLAN (UK - BT Smart Hub)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-06 09:14:03
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20230322 Rel.70951

Hi folks

This may be an issue with my ISP modem's settings - but just in case I'm missing something at this end I thought reach out to thecommunity.

I have a setup with primary WAN hooked up to one ISP (in this case Virgin). ISP's router has Residential Gateway & DHCP off. Works great!

The Issue:

I have a second ISP as backup (BT) but I cannot get my site to successfully connect to the WAN/LAN1 as a back up Internet connection. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried two options so far: BT Router connected to WAN/LAN1

A: On the BT router I have DHCP Off. Turn on WAN/LAN1 in Wired Networks - I get an error WAN/LAN1 Failed to get IP from Server

B: BT Router set to Bridge Mode (kills Broadband on the router) - I set WAN/LAN1 with the ISP's Gateway etc. - I get a Link Down error and causes very flaky overall performance issue with site.

Any clues or tip would be much appreciated 

cheers

Paul

Options
8 Reply
Re:Adopting backup WLAN (UK - BT Smart Hub)
2023-07-06 22:01:13

@Paul_FM 

Unless BT provided you with a full set of IP configuration data (static IP), you will almost certainly need to keep DHCP on.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-07-07 15:25:27 - last edited 2023-07-07 15:26:37

@Paul_FM 

B: BT Router set to Bridge Mode (kills Broadband on the router) - I set WAN/LAN1 with the ISP's Gateway etc. - I get a Link Down error and causes very flaky overall performance issue with site.

When the BT router is in Bridge mode, you will need to set WAN/LAN1 for PPPoE using your BT broadband username & password.

Options
2023-07-12 11:28:24

Hi folks

thanks for your replies. I've tired both options without success but I think I know the issue now. My BT router is on the same subnet as the Omanda and I'm getting an IP conflict on restart. I'll need to reconfigure the BT router and try again. I've only got narrow widows where I can reboot the controller so it'll be next week before I can do that, I'll post an update then

cheers

Options
2023-07-12 12:05:03

@Paul_FM 

Paul_FM wrote

Hi folks

My BT router is on the same subnet as the Omanda and I'm getting an IP conflict on restart.

When the BT router is in bridge mode and the Omada is set for PPPoE, there should be no possibility of IP conflict! The Omada will not be using IP on its WAN interface, it will be attempting to set up a PPP connection.

Options
2023-07-12 12:15:16
Yep, but when I tried Bridge mode with PPPoE the whole system goes offine and my TP router can't get past configuring - perhpas my settings are iffy... I have three other sites and they all work off the bat - not via PPoE, the only differenince I can see is with the subnets - meaning that they are not on the 192.168.1.x I'll keep at it - cheers
Options
2023-07-12 12:46:23

@Paul_FM in bridge mode , the BT router WILL go offline, its now effectively just a modem, its converting the DSL connection to an Ethernet one. The ER605 must now make the internet connection using PPPoE.

It sounds like you have not got the PPPoE credentials ( username & password ) correct in the ER605. I use my ER605 on my Plusnet account, that uses PPPoE and works just fine. Its a while since I used a BT broadband account but the username & password ought to be available from your BT account.

Here's my WAN configuration for PPPoE if it helps. NB I my DNS servers set for OpenDNS but you can leave those out to use the BT defaults. You might want to set the bandwidth figures more sensibly for your connection, mine are set for a 900Mb/115Mb connection

Options
2023-07-20 08:22:18

Thanks everyone for your input,

I was able to get this resolved last night. The main issue was that the BT router's default IP was conflicting with my site's. 

I disconnected the BT router from the network and changed the subnet to 192.168.10.x and rebooted. Checked it was all good and powered it down.

I then added the WAN/LAN1 using the defaults in Wired Networks and added it as a Back Up WAN. This caused the Router and Controller to reboot and re-adopt.

Only once my primary connection was back and working I connected the BT router to the WAN/LAN1 port and powered it up. 

Back on the Omada site I clicked Connect under the routers ports config and everything connected.

I assume that BT's hub is special in that it needs DHCP on to connect to the service, My primary connect is with Virgin and their router/modems were easily configured to turn off residential gateway and thus DHCP. 

Cheers

Paul

Options
2023-07-20 12:26:21

@Paul_FM 

I assume that BT's hub is special in that it needs DHCP on to connect to the service

BT broadband uses PPPoE to make the connection. In the default router mode, the BT hub will have the PPPoE credentials, make the PPPoE connection and provide a DHCP server on its LAN ports. Yes, in that mode if your LAN subnet is 192.168.1.x then it WILL clash with the BT Hub. However , if the BT hub is in bridge mode, then it does not make the PPPoE connection, rather it acts purely as a modem. It passes PPPoE traffic from the LAN ports to the DSL connection and does not provide a DHCP server. In this mode , the TP link WAN must be configured for PPPoE with your BT broadband credentials.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 463

Replies: 8

Related Articles