Cheap solution to extend range of EAP225

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-06 13:56:20
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi

I have an EAP225 (v3) which we use in standalone mode as an access point in our home (Sky router not great). It covers everywhere in the house that we need it to, but doesn't have enough strength to reach the end of our garden where i've recently bought a wifi gadget for my BBQ. BBQ can't really move closer.

I'm looking for a cheap and simple solution to extend the range. Would a simple extender like the RE200 do the trick, and be able to 'talk to' my EAP225 to do so? On the face of it, it looks like the right tool, but just checking here first.

My home setup is as below. Our existing AP is on the ceiling of the ground floor of our house, pretty much in the middle of the building, and provides very good coverage for us. The house is wired throughout with Cat6 cabling, so another solution is to just buy another EAP225, park it somewhere closer to the back of the house where there's a clearer line of sight to the BBQ, and form a mesh network with the existing AP. Or I can just buy a range extender and stick it close to the back door? I don't need any extender to be outdoors.

Advice welcomed! And please do redirect me if this has already been answered elsewhere. TIA...

Options
2 Reply
Re:Cheap solution to extend range of EAP225
2023-07-06 22:23:53

@irish_admiral 

Any wifi repeater device should do the trick..there's nothing secret about the way TPlink does WiFi :).  If you wanted it all managed by an Omada controller, then yes, another 225 close to a back window would also do the trick.  If the back window isn't good enough, you may have to mount you device outside so it's closer to the 'middle' between the BBQ and the AP.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Cheap solution to extend range of EAP225
2023-07-07 04:57:21

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the quick response - will try a range extender next!

Options