ER8411 feedback beta v1.0.4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER8411 feedback beta v1.0.4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
21 Reply
Re:ER8411 feedback beta v1.0.4
2023-07-12 20:48:23
I had opened a support case and they stopped emailing me back. I have an 8gig symmetrical fiber connection as Main WAN and 1.5gb secondary WAN. Definitely not my internet. I am rather disappointed with TP link atm. As you can see I have quite a bit invested and I'm having issue after issue
Options
2023-07-12 21:21:03
We actually have almost same tp-link gear in our network. And for now the EAPs and Switches (almost) do what I expect. The router is definitely not what it should. This it the top line router but it isn't (yet?) that great at the moment. So I switched back to my Mikrotik CCR2004. It's a shame that support has stopped communicating. Did you try call them? Or do you know a local tp-link partner that can take part of the issue.
Options
2023-07-12 21:35:33

@OXAR 

unforunately haven't had time to call them. I have been wondering if it is a controller issue ( i use and pay for the cloud controller ) and i mentioned this in the emails ( they cc'd like 20 development workers ) but I honestly don't know anymore. Not many devices can support PPPoE at 8gig (ubiquiti dream machine pro se does not) so its a mess of I am kind of stuck or fork over massive money for cisco / meraki 

Options
2023-07-13 06:22:29 - last edited 2023-07-13 06:24:00

@OXAR 

OXAR wrote

First issue is that the SFP+ ports can't run on 2.5G. We use a 2.5G SFP module (GPON ONT), we tried some settings but never got it working on 2.5G on ER8411, so we settled on 1G for now. First issue what we had on a 1G WAN connection is that the speed is lacking. From connections that are faster than 1G on LAN the speed is not full. Also the router takes some time to reach full speed, starts on 500Mbit/s and takes 15 seconds to get 1Gbit/s. So we put our previous router before the ER8411 and connected the SFP+ WAN port to our previrous router on 10G speed the speed is as expected, instant full speed. If we configure the link between ER8411 and previous router on 1G same issue is again here. That need to be sorted out.

here's the thing, running with SM5310-T, link speed as 10G, and 8411 can run at 2.5G as isp provided.

do you ever think it could be a problem with your module? btw, according to my knowledge and researching, tplink SFP+ port does not support 2.5 and 5G sfp. refer to the datasheet.

We use Wireguard to connect some other non Omada networks (site-to-site), we could configure it. But we use NAT on the router to allow the network behind the router to connect endpoints behind the Wireguard network. I'm missing to configure NAT (masquerade) on interfaces.

Also small improvement for port selections, now it is possible define a port or a range like (50-100). Really missing to define multiple ports that are not in a range. Like 80,443. Useful for firewalls and port forwards.

what kind of mode do you use? controller or standalone.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-13 07:16:34

@Tedd404 

Thank you for your reply. My 10G RJ45 SFP+ modules do work in this router. I do have a SFP (2.5G) GPON ONT module, these modules don't have 10G mode. I do understand that it isn't mentioned somewhere in the sheets, but almost all recent hardware does support it. Mostly it is software support. Of course there could be a limitation on the hardware platform. But the controller doesn't support the option, also not on the switch ports. There could be some work done.

We use the controller, it could be that it is supported on standalone mode, the whole point that I got this router is to get it integrated in the SDN platform. It's just feedback that some features are missing in the Omada Controller for now.

Options
2023-07-13 08:13:46

@OXAR 

i asked the support before about the sfp+ as some of my clients' internet plan is 2.5Gbps. and they use a 10G module. and it works fine. 

plainly there are 1G and 10G for sfp+ on tplink sfp+ products. 

either it's hardware or software limitation, I did not ask. you cannot argue its cheap price.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-13 10:27:22 - last edited 2023-07-13 10:27:50

@Tedd404  I guess that about 90% that it's a software limitation (or just not implemented). I think there is nothing wrong with asking and giving feedback and ask to add this feature despite the price. I don't think that this router (ER8411) is that cheap. There are offerings from Netgate, Mikrotik, Decisio and more in the same price range with outstanding firewall and routing options... I just hope that TP-Link can improve this product (and hence the feedback)

Options
2023-07-14 03:20:30 - last edited 2023-07-14 03:23:31

@OXAR 

you misunderstand me. i mean i did a survey that all sfp+ from the tplink don't support 2.5 and 5g. this is very likely to be a controller issue. the controller, I mean the sfp modules they got from the intel/Qualcomm/mediatek/realtek (maybe these brands) are not natively supporting them. 

you know, intel 13900ks and 13900k, these are sold at different price. reason why? because 13900ks is a special pick which they natively support higher clock speed. 

defect one are becoming 13900k 13700k or 13600k. so, the tech/chipset companies selling these products with a known defect. 

not to mention intel is famous to classify its fiber module into different categories and sell them at different price tags to other manufacturers like tplink

tplink probably got cheap modules considering the cost. therefore, the module natively does not support 2.5g and 5g. 

you want more compatibility, the module must support it natively and that would raise the price/cost.

that's my point. i am not saying it may not be a software limitation. but presume and think about this from the hardware level. 

to the best of my knowledge, meraki and cisco are offering limited support and requiring an annual license and additional support fee which costs pretty much annually. most of my clients choose tplink from a perspective of cost-friendly point.

Options
2023-07-15 15:25:04

@OXAR 

After swapping back to OC200 from the cloud controller, disconnection issues so far have disappeared. Tried updating to 1.1.0 and 1.04 and it goes into the loop of adopt, disconnect, heartbeat missed. So I had to downgrade back to 1.03.

Still no response from TP-Link.

Options
2023-07-15 20:33:45

@Tedd404 I understand your point. But I'm talking about 2.5G support on the switch. And yes TP-Link also sell SFP+ that do support 2.5G and 5G RJ45. See the TL-SM5310-T. And they also sell a 2.5G SFP module in China (TL-SM410U). Yes probably not (yet) supported but the whole point of this community is also improving products. I did get manage to get a link with my RTL9601D based GPON module on the ER8411 with 2.5G rate, but it will only last 10 seconds and goes down again. And after 20 seconds it got link again and goes down again. Result is a flipping link. Nowadays a lot vendors do support 2.5G and 5G link speeds on SFP+ modules, so it will be nice that TP-Link also support it. Because the option is missing on the TL-SX3008F, TL-SG3428X, TL-SG3210XHP-M2 and other switches with SFP+ ports.

Options
Related Articles