Votes

ER7212PC - Missing Wireguard and Certificate + Account mode for OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-15 17:51:40 - last edited 2024-03-04 02:25:13
Tags: #wireguard
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3_20230314

Please add the missing Wireguard. And OpenVPN client missing login and password options as soon as possible.

This is the "Omada 3-in-1 Gigabit VPN Router" which does not actually have a working OpenVPN client and does not have Wireguard at all, even though all other Omada routers have these features.

Months go by and no effects are visible, the last update was released in March 2023, now we have July, it will soon be 5 months without any update or even beta. Let me remind you that this is business equipment that does not really have support from TP-Link.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
RE:ER7212PC - Missing Wireguard and Certificate + Account mode for OpenVPN-Solution
2023-09-14 02:30:49 - last edited 2024-02-26 03:25:11

Hi @Jeffrey-K 

Jeffrey-K wrote

We need Wireguard with our ER7212PC device asap. OpenVPN is too slow.

I installed the latest firmware v1_1.1.0 last week, but no Wireguard support.

A lot of other routers (for example Asus) do support Wireguard for a long time now, so I don't understand why this new flagship doesn't support Wireguard?!

Can you please mention IF there are any plans to support Wireguard?

ER7212PC is not a flagship model and its performance, TBH, is worse than other models. It was originally designed for all-in-one integration. The current flagship model is ER8411 which takes ER7206's place.

Currently, I don't have information about whether it'll be implemented. If there is a hardware limitation like ER605 V1, which will never be implemented with WG per the senior engineer's reply, then it could be the case.

Update: After further confirmation with the senior engineer, due to the hardware limit of the ER7212PC, WireGuard is not gonna be implemented to the ER7212PC so far.

Please consider other models like independent models like ER7206 or others.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:ER7212PC - Missing Wireguard and Certificate + Account mode for OpenVPN
2023-07-17 06:07:11

Hi @adminnetwork 

Thank you for your feedback and inquiry. I understand that you are eager to know more about the feature request of the WireGuard and OpenVPN compatibility mentioned in this thread. At this time, we do not have specific information on when the feature will be released or which router model will add the feature of WireGuard and OpenVPN finally.

But please rest assured that our development team is working diligently to provide the best possible updates for our customers. Every feature request is taken into consideration, and we appreciate your patience as we work to prioritize and implement them.

This post will be updated as soon as the feature becomes available. In the meantime, if you require to support the WireGuard and OpenVPN feature urgently, we recommend exploring alternative solutions that may meet your needs.

Once again, we appreciate your support and feedback on our product, and we will continue to strive towards meeting our customers' expectations.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-07-31 20:45:32

@adminnetwork Same here!!

Options
2023-08-11 15:57:11
Are there any updates on this? A beta firmware for the 7212 was recently released, but there was no mention of wireguard.
Options
RE:ER7212PC - Missing Wireguard and Certificate + Account mode for OpenVPN
2023-09-07 08:22:02 - last edited 2023-09-07 08:26:32

A lot of other routers (for example Asus) do support Wireguard for a long time now, so I don't understand why this new flagship doesn't support Wireguard?!

Options
RE:ER7212PC - Missing Wireguard and Certificate + Account mode for OpenVPN-Solution
2023-09-14 02:30:49 - last edited 2024-02-26 03:25:11

Hi @Jeffrey-K 

Jeffrey-K wrote

ER7212PC is not a flagship model and its performance, TBH, is worse than other models. It was originally designed for all-in-one integration. The current flagship model is ER8411 which takes ER7206's place.

Currently, I don't have information about whether it'll be implemented. If there is a hardware limitation like ER605 V1, which will never be implemented with WG per the senior engineer's reply, then it could be the case.

Update: After further confirmation with the senior engineer, due to the hardware limit of the ER7212PC, WireGuard is not gonna be implemented to the ER7212PC so far.

Please consider other models like independent models like ER7206 or others.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-14 08:45:03

@Clive_A  I'm sorry, but what? We, the customers, did not design this hardware, we, the customers, did not encourage the purchase and we did not advertised this product as a new, cool, flagship 3-in-1 VPN router that does not actually have a VPN. It's all you. You knew from the beginning that this router does not have Wireguard, but you "omitted" this information on the product page.

And if you added OpenVPN to it, why can't you add Wireguard? I'm sorry but this is nonsense. This is not a $40 piece of equipment, but it cost much more. And what's funny is that $40 routers (like Cudy) fully support Wireguard with speeds up to 170 Mbit/s, having a dual-core 880 MHz processor (MediaTek MT7621AT) and 128 MB RAM, while the ER7212PC which has a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM, it won't handle it. Total nonsense.

You have deceived us customers, you are advertising and encouraging us to buy a 3-in-1 VPN device that should not appear on the market. It has no functions, has very poor firmware with a huge number of bugs. If you don't want to fix it, correct the product description and indicate what the limits of this equipment are. Most importantly, accept returns of equipment from customers who have already purchased these devices.

Options
2023-09-14 08:52:22

@Clive_A 

Hi,

We are very disappointed!!

This model is just one year on the market and now you're telling us it's just a cheap model with poor hardware?!

If I knew this before, I had never bought this router!

Options
2023-09-15 01:44:21 - last edited 2023-09-15 01:58:02

Hi @adminnetwork

adminnetwork wrote

@Clive_A  I'm sorry, but what? We, the customers, did not design this hardware, we, the customers, did not encourage the purchase and we did not advertised this product as a new, cool, flagship 3-in-1 VPN router that does not actually have a VPN. It's all you. You knew from the beginning that this router does not have Wireguard, but you "omitted" this information on the product page.

And if you added OpenVPN to it, why can't you add Wireguard? I'm sorry but this is nonsense. This is not a $40 piece of equipment, but it cost much more. And what's funny is that $40 routers (like Cudy) fully support Wireguard with speeds up to 170 Mbit/s, having a dual-core 880 MHz processor (MediaTek MT7621AT) and 128 MB RAM, while the ER7212PC which has a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM, it won't handle it. Total nonsense.

You have deceived us customers, you are advertising and encouraging us to buy a 3-in-1 VPN device that should not appear on the market. It has no functions, has very poor firmware with a huge number of bugs. If you don't want to fix it, correct the product description and indicate what the limits of this equipment are. Most importantly, accept returns of equipment from customers who have already purchased these devices.

If you made your purchase within a 30-day, typically, and it's from Amazon, you can contact Amazon for the return issue. The return period depends on the retailers' policies. All products are sold to the retailers and we don't take direct refunds or returns from customers.

I also viewed what you have posted before. You said a similar thing to Hank. We did not guarantee a feature should/would be implemented in all models. For example, SSL VPN, which is a proprietary feature on ER8411 for now. ER605 V1 cannot be added with certain features due to the fact that it runs out of space and adding more could slow down the product.

About the price, it costs much more because of PoE and switch chipset.

DRAM is 1GB DDR3, that's correct from the specs. But if you take a look at the controller memory usage. After a month of launch, the last reboot time was on 8/15, and it now reaches nearly 800 MB.

On another computer, which I rebooted yesterday and ran the controller, it uses 732 MB after a day.

And I hope that "you" is not referring to me. I am offering help on the forum, and stating the facts and truth between you and the dev.

The limit for the ER7212PC is quite clear on the product page. 10 EAP control ability means it is very limited and suitable for small-size stores or offices.

I have reported this before and I have informed you of the fact I have and I'll try again. If I get another no from the dev, I think there is nothing I can do at this moment.

P.S. I feel very bad about the tone that it was me who advertised and made you purchase. I hope that you can use a different term instead of using the term "you" which seems to be personal. I hope I can explain things and push the product to improve, but being negative and personal would not do anything positive.

Options
2023-09-15 02:00:24

Hi @Jeffrey-K 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Jeffrey-K wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi,

We are very disappointed!!

This model is just one year on the market and now you're telling us it's just a cheap model with poor hardware?!

If I knew this before, I had never bought this router!

First, sorry to know that this does not meet your expectations. I hope people know more about the products and what they need before purchasing so that they don't make a mistake before buying. Would suggest you consult the support or people in this industry before making the decision.

Second, this is a 3-in-1 product, the Controller takes much memory. That's the reason why this is not considered.

Third, if the VPN listed above is very important and critical in your network, and you look forward to resolving it as soon as possible, I suggest that you seek other solutions for the time being.

Options
2023-09-21 18:08:03

@Clive_A 

All what you say is not ok to us customers. We are way over 30 days to be able to return this, we bought this equipment encouraged by TP-Link with the promise of a working VPN (the product page further advertises this router as a 3 in 1 VPN Router). It turned out to be a lie.

Now when it comes to ER8411 and ER605 V1, we are not interested in this as customers, it is up to you to ensure a uniform working environment. You are the one designing the equipment, you are the one making the promises, advertising the features. And you are responsible for your mistakes. Remember that UBNT is your biggest competition, they care about the customer, they add features that are missing, even if they are not present. With this approach, you are not worthy of attention or credibility.

The price of ER7212 is high, and an 8 port POE switch do not impact price in such way, don't exaggerate.

Do not compare the RAM consumption on a Windows computer to the memory consumption in a router, it is not accurate. Again, you (TP-Link) designed this router, how incompetent is the R&D department if they knew it was supposed to be a VPN router and didn't take care of the appropriate amount of RAM? Moreover, if a $30 router with 128MB of RAM is able to handle routing and Wireguard at speeds up to 190 Mbit/s, an Omada router with huge limitations on the number of devices connected to the controller will cope with Wireguard traffic and does not need 800MB for control. much less.

And yes, our conversation is personal, because you are the representative of TP-Link who is responsible for communication, listening to customers and passing on comments. Your tone in responses to customers is not ok, it sounds a bit like it was our fault that we trusted Tp-Link and bought the equipment.

You (TP-Link) deceived us customers, you misled us with the information in the product page before purchasing, now you pretend that nothing happened. You sell equipment for business, we have to trust you and be sure that you will provide us with solutions that will work and have the features you advertise, without having to fight for it.

Currently we have routers that are useless, they do not have functions that they should have. The firmware has major deficiencies. So either fix it or accept returns and we will go back to more trusted business brands like UBNT.

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 1565

Replies: 13

Voters 7

+ 3 Voters

Tags

wireguard