High retry rate for EAP670

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-18 11:48:13 - last edited 2023-07-18 11:50:49
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Hi everyone, I have a EAP670 that seems to have regular issues. Here and there, there's regular high retry rate, and I can't explain why, it hits 99% sometimes and then boom, gets back to normal.

I have also 2 x EAP225-Outdoor and 1 x EAP225 to cover my house, outdoor and indoor and none of those 3 AP is showing similar retried rate. I saw on another thread here that someone named 'Fae' stated that there was a known issue with high retry rate for EAP6XX devices, but that was almost a year and a half ago (January 2022), it was told that an upcoming firmware could fix that but yet, my current firmware is 1.0.6 for device EAP670(US) v1.0[Custom].

On the support website for that device, the only firmware available is EAP670(CA)_V1_1.0.2 Build 20220210

Anyone else experiencing these issues ? Is there a way to actually see what is causing this high retry rate, the device that tries numerous times. My dropped rate for that EAP670 is between 6 and 10%, even at the same time that retried rate is near 99%.

EDIT : Just changed my location to US (I'm in Canada) since my model seems to be a US model, and the latest available firmware is the one I have installed, which is EAP670(US)_V1_1.0.6 Build 20220921, Published Date: 2022-12-06

Options
10 Reply
Re:High retry rate for EAP670
2023-07-19 01:45:25

@pplante19 

1. don't try to change your region and expect a new firmware pushed to you. even if there is one, you wouldn't be able to install it.

CA firmware is customized for Canada only. i.e. you cannot flash your firmware to the US

2. the site seems to be outdated. the cloud server will constantly push firmware to users. you don't have to worry if you manage it from the controller. if there's new, there is. if no, there's not.
3. do you experience the same behavior on other eap you have?

do you have a bad wifi connection on this eap670?

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-19 02:27:16

@Tedd404 Hi there, thanks for the answers.  Just to clarify some things.

1 - I didn't change anything, region or anything. I bought my EAP670 over Amazon Canada (amazon.ca) and this is the unit I received. It's the only one marked as 'US', all my other 3 devices are Canada (2 x EAP225-Outdoor and 1 x EAP225). It came with version 1.0.6 installed and never had an update and never flashed. I kept it as I received, not updates ever showed up for that unit.

2 - That is what I did so far with all my AP and my R605 VPN router.

3 - No, all my other 3 devices have very low retry rates ranging from 1% to 10% max. EAP670 will also do that except, like I said, here and there, there are very high retry rate for a certain amount of time, then it goes back to normal. EAP670 would represent the most 'used' AP in the house, I would say. I wouldn't say that I have bad connection on my main devices, everything seems to be working great, but those high retry rates 'annoys' me, something must be working bad somewhere, and I would like to pinpoint it. If it's a particular device that's doing this, there must be a way to identify it, no ?

Options
2023-07-19 03:27:27

@pplante19 

Is the image showing the result of 2.4G band? Tried to optimize your wireless environment, change different channel widths, tx power for testing. 

Actually, what about the data of Dropped Packets? Is it high either? 

Did it affect the actual usage of devices?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-07-19 04:08:02

@Virgo I separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 ghz networks, but the retried rate widget I see, the one in the dashboard, does not state it gets this data from, I can't say if it's coming from 2.4 or 5 Ghz, and I can't say which device(s) is causing this. All I know, I can see, is that it comes from the EAP670.

I tried to optimize, but results were worse. Leaving all this at auto is the best results I can get, minus those occasional high retry rates. I have a surge at the moment, looking at it, I'm at 80% retry rate.

Dropped packets is surprisingly at ... 0% and has been that way for the last 24 hours on that AP.

And, the actual usage of devices is fine. I'm getting good results from speedtest connected to that AP while it says my retry rate is at 80%.

If it weren't for that graphic, I would say the network is fine, but it puzzles me that I get this, something must be wrong but..., I don't know where to see/get details about these results, so I can't say what's happening, I can't explain it.

Options
2023-07-19 06:47:52 - last edited 2023-07-19 06:48:04

@pplante19 

it's hard to pinpoint this. if I were you, I'll remove all other devices and test this at different distances. so, I know if this is a distance issue or not. 

if my test device is working perfectly, no high retry rate, at 10 meters, then it could be a device in your network constantly causing this problem.

if it works ok, I am getting unstable network sometimes, at 10 meters, then I can suspect its distance. move closer and test, if the issue is gone, then it is distance.

if high retry rate with a single device at 5 meters and everything works great, then it is the eap. not your devices, it's the eap problem. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-19 11:06:20

@Tedd404 Yes, I acknowledge it hard, I was in fact looking for a way to find more information about the issue than to resolve the issue itself, I know I'm lacking details, but since I'm rather new into Omada and that I checked almost everywhere and found nothing, I was looking to actually find a way to gather or consult more information about what was causing this or what was causing the EAP670 to report those high retry rate.

Yesterday I received 3 x EAP225, I think I will do the opposite, put the EAP670 offline and replace it with a EAP225, at the same physical place, just to see if the new EAP225 will report those high retry rates. If that's the case, I will know it's either the EAP670 that is faulty or that the current firmware and/or the EAP6XX line has issues as seen on another post.

On the other hand, if the new EAP225 reports the same thing..., I will have to dig on my network for something causing the issue.

I prefer doing this that way because..., I have about 45 wireless clients on at all time, and that I and my wife works from home (internet is crucial, meetings, etc.) and that after working hours and weekends..., my 2 boys are always gaming..., internet is crucial..., can't put this down for too long, hahaha :)

Options
2023-07-20 21:06:54

Ok, if anyone interested. I disconnected my EAP670 for the last 36 hours and instead connected my newly received EAP225, on the same wire and... I haven't got any retry rate higher than 4% on the last 36 hours !

It's either that I have a bad unit OR that the included reporting on that unit is badly interpreted.

I'm just mad that I received a new EAP225 V5, my previous ones are V1 and V3, but V5 is only reporting how 'busy' channels 2.4 and 5 GHz while V1 and V2 reports Tx, Rx and interference levels.

How on earth is V5, usually the latest one released, giving less information, being badly designed compared to V1 and V3. I would prefer have either a V1 or a V3... :/

Options
2023-07-21 02:06:46

@pplante19 

pplante19 wrote

I'm just mad that I received a new EAP225 V5, my previous ones are V1 and V3, but V5 is only reporting how 'busy' channels 2.4 and 5 GHz while V1 and V2 reports Tx, Rx and interference levels.

How on earth is V5, usually the latest one released, giving less information, being badly designed compared to V1 and V3. I would prefer have either a V1 or a V3... :/

I know that, take a look:

EAP225 v5 only showing Busy and Free while EAP225 v4 shows RX / TX Frames, Interference & Free

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-08-14 11:46:06

@pplante19 

I'm having the same problem and haven't found a solution yet. Something very strange happens to the EAP670, if you look at the questions asked in the forum, you can see that everyone basically goes through the same problems of instability in the network.

Options
2023-08-14 12:05:55

@Randson I feel your pain, it's very sad after paying a premium price to get such a letdown. I now have EAP225 (V1, V3 and V5), and no more 670 and everything runs fine, I don't have high retry rate anymore. I have made a reset to the 670 and sold him. Not ideal solution, but to me, case is closed in a way, would not buy 670 again, considering no fix have been done by TP-Link since...

Options