Again issues with omada controller and devices - router disconnected and will not come back

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Again issues with omada controller and devices - router disconnected and will not come back

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-24 19:24:46
Model: OC300  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.17.0

Hello,

we have again issues with the controller, this time it is the router which shows as disconnected from the controller. We have changed one setting for a wired lan network setting (subnet with vlan) to activate the DHCP server over the router and after that we have the issue that the router is showing as disconnected from the controller. We have try force provision without any changes. We do not have phisical access to the hardware and need push the network online to start a project. This is really fristrating, what can I do without restarting thr router or switches to get the router connected again? Restart the controller? It seems to be the router is running as the other wired networks still online. The controller is directly connected with the router over an lan port.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Again issues with omada controller and devices - router disconnected and will not come back
2023-07-25 02:19:39

@Cij 

why do you use the term "again" to describe this?

isn't this happening after you "modify" the settings? 

is this gonna be blamed to tplink "again" for your "possible mistake"?

what do you change? you seem to be 100% confident that this is a "firmware issue" with the tplink instead of your "proper" vlan config?

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
Re:Again issues with omada controller and devices - router disconnected and will not come back
2023-07-25 06:59:30 - last edited 2023-07-25 08:23:30

@Tedd404 

yesterday I had to drive a total of 260 kilometers to disconnect the router from the power once and plug it back in. You can imagine that I have no great joy with it. That something can happen is understandable, but not in the intervals.

About the Router we have a beta firmware for our ER8411 created by TP-Link regarding a missing ACL gateway rule this has been added from your side. But with the disconnected devices like router or switchtes, this simply happens too often. The last time we have changed the ACL rule for switches and 2 of our 5 switches are also disconnected from the controller and newer come back until you unplug and plugin in the powercord, but in this case all devices connected on the switches was offline and not reachable, good that we have setup a redundancy otherwise we need to go again 260 kilometers. You do not have the chance from remote to bring the device back to the controller. Which is really critical in a business environment

It would be good to have at least a fallback function here. Suggestion: the router was yesterday still internally accessible via its internal IP address, but after logging to the gui via the internal IP-Address you get an error that the router is managed with the Omada controller. Here would be good to add a restart function then you are able to restart the router or switch from remote without to disconnect and connect the power cord. With this function maybee you can help by yourself from remote or please discuss this internally how to make a option to bring the devices back to the controller from remote. In our case, there are no people regularly on site and the installations run in buildings where only technology is installed without people. Therefore, we decided to use the Omada setup to manage everything remotely.

And I am quite honestly why I am so frustrated that I am always afraid to change an attitude because exactly such a thing could happen and has happened too often in the past which does not satisfy me as a customer.

Options
2023-07-25 09:14:57

@Cij 

i'd recommend a smart plug and using ssh to restart the 8411 if you have allowed ssh and got a vpn connection to it. ssh can reboot it.

you always face problems after you modified things, you should probably consider if there is a problem with your config and you are making mistakes. probably after you change the things back, you use force provision and get it back again. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-25 09:32:10

@Tedd404 

Hope this is a joke? Then I can testify and demand that you develop your products and software in such a way that they can be used in business without hesitation and without having 100 workarounds. Everywhere on the website they talk about enterprise class hardware and then I'm supposed to use controllable sockets to remotely fix software or hardware errors. I have to say that just disappoints me even more.

Did you check the screenshot with the listet hardware? This means we need in total 11 smart plug devices to be prepared for eventualities that shouldn't actually happen. If I search the TP-Link forum alone and how often this occurs, I think the manufacturer should think about how to solve this problem in order to make it customer-friendly.

So please don't take it personally

Options
2023-07-25 09:45:49

About the sugestion, I think for your software depratment this is not a big deal to add a restart button on the router and switch GUI. This would be help a lot of people with the same issue.

Options
2023-07-25 22:14:28

Now the router is again offline or broken after removing ACL switch rules and add instead of that ACL gateway rules. Everythink looks good and after one hour the reouter is down and the controller is also disconnected. The smart plugin is also not working in this case. The internet connection on WAN before router is available so it seems to be again the router has broken or stop working.

Options
2023-07-26 02:11:15

@Cij 

you have a hardware controller. connect a computer, wired, dynamic IP, to the ETH2 and ping from ETH2 to the gateway and verify if the link is still up. if the link is down, that's your configuration issue blocking the access between the router and the HW oc.

Options
2023-07-26 02:18:16

@Cij 

you should not be mad at someone from forum and take them as tplink stuff.

i am seeing you using the beta firmware. 8411 has already released an official firmware recently. if you are still using the beta, why so mad? beta is for testing, and if there is a compatibility or potential bug, that's quite normal. you report the problem to the support team.

like always, I tell people who seek performance and more advanced features, suck it up with the flaws and bugs.

you seek stability? keep one stable version and use it. don't bother upgrading unless necessary. why people still use ubuntu 20.04 in 2023? Not 22.04?

Options
2023-07-26 17:56:07 - last edited 2023-07-26 17:56:46

The beta version is not a beta test, we have received this version regarding missing security function on the ER8411. I did not get a information from the controller that a new version is available therefore I can not update the router. I have downloaded the latest version of the firmware but the manual upgrade is not working. I am not angry at the user therefore I also wrote do not take personally. I am anything but satisfied with the overall situation. Drive you times 1000 kilometers back and forth because of sachen what each FritzBox can simply work. That makes me angry. So now there is a new oficial firmware that I can still import because I get the message upload failed. This just makes me ready

Options