ER7212PC wireless clients dropping internet occasionally

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-01 19:54:31
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20230724 Rel.49286

Hello,

Have an ER7212PC with 2 x EAP655 and 1 x EAP650.  ISP is Sky Fibre and connection is direct from ONT to ER7212PC.  I've come from a rock solid but simple ASUS DSL-AC68U setup as i wanted to get decent mesh in the house and PoE APs, so went with omada system. 

While wired connections seem bullet proof (wfh all day) the wireless connectivity from some of our phones seems to drop out.  Connected but no Internet.  Pages won't load but a minute later they will, or you turn wifi on and off to get things back. I have been trying a bunch of tweaks to see if anything helps - various advanced Mesh and/or WAN settings toggled on and off - but nothing really helps.  I've tried Cloudflare and Google DNS settings and that didn't help either.  I've also updated to the latest beta FW and that hasn't helped.

I've now just switched on History for the clients and extended the LAN DHCP time to the max (throwing sink at this now).  next time it happens i'm hoping i have something to spell out what's happening in logs during the disconnect.  Till then would appreciate any advice on what may be happening?

cheers,
JC

Options
9 Reply
Re:ER7212PC wireless clients dropping internet occasionally
2023-08-01 20:31:07

@JCUK just happened again, exported maintenance logs, nothing at all for the time in the Server log there.  nothing showing in the history for the client (mobile phone) i was on.  Not sure if there's any lower level logging availalbe?  Have also tried Wan AI optimization this week, no joy.

i do have mesh enabled, and i do have both 2.4 and 5 bands on the one SSID.  Perhaps i should try separating them - i did have them seaparte on pre-omada setup, but i thought one big metling pot of mesh was the way to go....?

Options
2023-08-02 03:15:37

Hi @JCUK 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So, I read your post in the beta test thread. I need to verify that with the team since this feature has been removed. It was removed due to the log did not provide helpful information for customers and it is not helping but causing confusion to customers.

Let me explain what that means. Association timeout is a log to record the time that your devices fail to join the network from the EAP. It was removed from the log. And later on from the chart. This was removed a long time ago on the controller updates. I am not sure if it is normal to have this feature still exist on ER7212PC. But will report and confirm.

But this reflects that your mesh nodes are probably not in an ideal location. With your symptom, this concretes my confidence that your setup probably is not ideal. Symptom is that you can still get Internet access but it loads slowly sometimes. It seems to be that your device having a hard time getting a connection or roaming.

To fix this, you need at least a better location for the mesh nodes and enable roaming-related features.

• Make sure you enable Advanced Features to make all roaming features enabled.

• Make sure your 5GHz channel is clean. So that the mesh connection is stable. EAP is using hidden 5GHz to set up the mesh.

• Relocate your EAP mesh nodes. How to optimize wireless performance of EAP products Best to place your EAP close enough to have some overlapped area. This is ideal for hand over the connection to another node. Overlap like this. If you don't have the overlapped area, then your connection will be disconnected first and then reconnect to the WIFI. That's not roaming according to the design/plan because your physical location is not ideal for the mesh. So, this is rather critical.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-02 08:24:36

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the response.  I've re-enabled most Mesh Advanced features (but had these on before).  I'm fairly certain my AP placement is good.  They are in a triangle formation fairly equidistant but overlapping a little (confirmed with various wifi monitoring apps on my phone).  One in the living room grnd floor (centre), one in the office 2nd floor (south) and one in bedroom 2nd floor (south).

I would also say that when the issue occurs, i'm downstairs right beside the central AP in the living room.  Things will be fine, i will be connected to that AP and suddenly get a drop.  So i'm not moving around here or anything, i'm observing this in a static position sitting in front of the tv etc.

I don't know what you mean by "Make sure your 5GHz channel is clean. So that the mesh connection is stable" -  all of my APs are POE hardwired back to the Router.  Only a few devices in my home are 5ghz, mostly the phones and tablets.  Then a bunch of IoT things running on 2.4.  I've tried switching channels and using AI Wan optimization to let it switch channels - no joy.

I was wondering if separating the channels onto different SSIDs would help?  Also - i see there's beta fw available for the APs i have - happy to try those.  Thanks for your help so far. Cheers

Options
2023-08-02 09:12:47 - last edited 2023-08-02 09:14:09

Hi @JCUK 

OK then. Your network is not actually mesh. The whole time you are referring to Fast Roaming as mesh. EAP mesh is wireless bridge. Not roaming.

Back to the question, if you are certain that your location is perfect, then I'll just help you verify the EAP. If I prove the EAP is fine, you should think about if this is a problem with your devices.

Stationary, wirelessly connected to one EAP, when continuously ping the 8.8.8.8 and gateway IP address and check if there is any drop/no response. If no, then the EAP is fine. Ethernet is fine. Router and everything are fine. You can run this as long as you want to.

If you have a device running into a problem like what you described, when it happens, instantly run ping. Ping gateway IP, no drop? Then good. If it drops, then you should consider if there is any issue with the wire. (Only when it drops, you run ping EAP IP).

Run ping 8.8.8.8. Any drop? Yes, then your Internet is unstable. Not the router, not the Ethernet or AP, it's the ISP line or server.

BTW, please specify the devices that experience this dropping issue. IoT? Windows laptop? Apple products?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-02 09:38:42

@Clive_A 

Ok interesting, so perhaps given all my APs are wired, I should turn off mesh? Let the mobile devices roam as they determine?

I thought enabling "mesh" would mean my phone or laptop could move throughout house and the eap controller would manage handoff to best AP so phone would more seamlessly reconnect to best nearest AP rather than have the phone try to do it based on its own signal threshold parameters.

Another way to ask that, can I move from top floor to bottom floor on a zoom call seamlessly if mesh is disabled?

As for ping troubleshooting, I'll try that.

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

JC

Options
2023-08-02 09:55:43

Hi @JCUK 

Since you mentioned that you used Asus, I know home products usually sell products with this "mesh" as a selling point. Our Omada EAP mesh means wireless bridge. So, it's okay that we have a different understanding of this.

To achieve what you want, you need to enable Fast Roaming, AKA Seamless Roaming in home products. Enable other roaming-related features and you should have a similar effect to Seamless Roaming (802.11 k/v/r).

Monitor your network and let me know later on when you have some news for me. I'll keep following up on your case. wink

Options
2023-08-02 10:46:55

@JCUK they way I understand it is that if you have all your AP's connected directly to the ER7212PC via POE powered ethernet cable from this Gateway you must ensure Mesh is disabled. You only need to enable this if one of the AP's is remotely connected to an alternate power source so it can use Mesh to establish its connection to the network. Try this and see if you get some stabilty. If you are too close to another AP your TX power setting may be too high and may need to be adjusted if roaming does nto take place easily.

Options
2023-08-02 12:23:42

@JCUK 

Have we confirmed that your wireless clients have good signal?

Moving from Home Grade Wireless router to Enterprise APs is a completely different ball park.  In wireless range, power, and radiation patterns.  

Goto your client list and click on the 3 dots on the right... and check Signal, Wifi Connection, Rx, and TX.

This will show the signal of the wireless clients as they sit.  

This will be a good starting point.  To where you need to go...  Anything above -73 is starting to be on a shaky connection... Send US feedback on your findings and we can advize you on further tweaking.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-08-02 20:52:17

@Clive_A - thanks will try that pinging to troubleshoot when it happens and i have some time. cheers

@dgrintz - thanks, yeah i think you're right and my understanding of mesh was off, so will def try switching mesh off to see if that helps. It's not a big house, so i suppose the overlap\power may be a bit much between APs, i could tune down the one's upstairs too if nothing else is working.

@KimcheeGUN - yes, clients have excellent signal when this happens.  Typical scenario is on our phones, where suddenly webpage or youtube or tiktkok isn't loading (or in case of the latter starts saying 'network unstable') and eventually the full barred Wifi symbol on phone will have an exclamaition bang and report connected, no internet.  Also, below is snip of my mobile in the same position i'm usually in when i've observed the disconnects, i don' thave the knowledge to know if the values indicate an issue so any advice apprecaited.

thanks all, will report back post Mesh=off

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 486

Replies: 9

Related Articles