PEM certificate upload fails when filename contains two or more periods

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-02 01:28:32 - last edited 2023-08-11 06:07:55
Tags: #Controller Installation #HTTPS Certificates
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.9.3 Build 20230328 Rel.52390

This comment covers the topic of uploading SSL certificates for the Omada hardware controllers. In this comment, I have a main bug report as well as general background, root causes for problems, questions, comments, and suggestions.

Main Bug Report

When doing PEM upload, the files will not validate if they contain two or more periods. For example, "192.168.0.2.pem" will fail. This is a bug; the filename should not matter.

Workaround: Upload PEM files with filenames with only one period (the one right before the file extension). For example, using "cert.pem" and "key.pem" works fine.

Background

There is considerable dissatisfaction online having to do with uploading SSL certificates for Omada hardware controllers so that HTTPS works correctly. You can see this on Reddit on forums as well as blog posts. The root causes include the following.

Root Causes

1. Bugs in the Omada Controller regarding certificates.
  2. A lack of visibility into certificate errors. (a) The UI sometimes gives a brief error message without actionable detail. (b) There is no way that I know of to get more details, such as a log file. The Omada log files seem to only track network and device behavior, not configuration.
  3. Lack of support for some certificate formats. This seems to have gotten better in the last, say, nine months.
  4. The complexity around certificates in general.
  5. OpenSSL is quite complex, with a complicated command-line interface;
  6. A lack of definitive clear documentation from TP-Link to mitigate (3) and (4), above.

Questions, Comments, and Suggestions

Bug Tracking

Where can users check on the status of already-filed bugs?

Is there a Jira system, for example? (This is not to say that I recommend Jira!)

Better Log Visibility

Give people logs and you empower them.

Open Source the Controller Software

Has TP-Link considered open-sourcing the controller software?

What is the company's stated position on *not* doing so yet?

Error Messages

What is TP-Link planning to do with regards to cryptic error messages?

Suggestion: Error messages should be handled systematically and comprehensively

I suggest that error messages include (1) a short one-line summary and (2) an error code that can be cross-referenced to documentation. Why? Source code deployments are relatively resource intensive and therefore slow. Documentation, on the other hand, can be updated rapidly.

For inspiration, look at how the Rust compiler error messages are handled for both end-users and compiler developers. I could not paste full links in here, but I'll try to find a way later.

Versions & Details

Controller version: 5.9.32

Model: OC200 2.0

Firmware Version: 2.9.3 Build 20230328 Rel.52390

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:PEM certificate upload fails when filename contains two or more periods-Solution
2023-08-11 06:07:50 - last edited 2023-08-11 06:07:55

Hello @canfix,

I'd like to update here, the support engineer has located the issue, and it will also be optimised in subsequent official versions of the controller.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:PEM certificate upload fails when filename contains two or more periods
2023-08-02 01:33:36

Because this *wacky* forum software won't let me paste anything like a link, I pasted this image.Rust Error Codes  @canfix 

Options
Re:PEM certificate upload fails when filename contains two or more periods
2023-08-03 07:01:52

Hello @canfix

Thanks for reporting this issue to TP-Link community!

This issue has been reported to the support engineer for further investigation. I'll try to provide an update when there's progress.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:PEM certificate upload fails when filename contains two or more periods-Solution
2023-08-11 06:07:50 - last edited 2023-08-11 06:07:55

Hello @canfix,

I'd like to update here, the support engineer has located the issue, and it will also be optimised in subsequent official versions of the controller.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 473

Replies: 3

Tags

Controller Installation
HTTPS Certificates
Related Articles