Gigabit switch TL-SG108E V6 losing gigabit connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-02 23:14:42 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:41:21
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: TL-SG108E(UN)_V6_1.0.0 Build 20230218

I recently upraded the firmware on my TL-SG108E V6 gigabit switch to TL-SG108E(UN)_V6_1.0.0 Build 20230218. Prior to that, it was on Build 2022xxxx. While I was on the previous build, one of my ports that feeds my office downgraded to 100MBps unbeknownst to me.

After running, Speedtest and troubleshooting, I found that the one port was showing color orange, 100MBps versus green, 1000MBps. I decided to unplug and replug the one port. That fixed it.

(1) Why could this have happened?

(2) Was this something fixed in this latest firmware?

(3) Can I configure in the Easy Smart Configuration Utility the affected port to make it always set to 1000MBps and never auto switch back? In doing so, could that cause a problem? Is this a workaround or do I have an issue somewhere else.

I purchased the switch March 2023.

Help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Gigabit switch TL-SG108E V6 losing gigabit connection-Solution
2023-08-03 02:53:31 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:41:09

Hi @KeithGP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. Cable degrades. Loose connector. Bad quality.
2. It's not software level. The electrical wave is interrupted by the cable which is down to 100Mbps.

3. You can force it to 1000Mbps but that does not mean your physical wire can keep you a Gigabit speed. The worst result for doing so would be to lose connection.

In conclusion, get a better cable. If you place it inside the wall, make sure the cable has a good reputation and better be STP.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Gigabit switch TL-SG108E V6 losing gigabit connection-Solution
2023-08-03 02:53:31 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:41:09

Hi @KeithGP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. Cable degrades. Loose connector. Bad quality.
2. It's not software level. The electrical wave is interrupted by the cable which is down to 100Mbps.

3. You can force it to 1000Mbps but that does not mean your physical wire can keep you a Gigabit speed. The worst result for doing so would be to lose connection.

In conclusion, get a better cable. If you place it inside the wall, make sure the cable has a good reputation and better be STP.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Gigabit switch TL-SG108E V6 losing gigabit connection
2023-08-03 04:01:42 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:41:09

@Clive_A cable degradation definitely could be happening. It was the best wiring (CAT5E) I could install in the walls over 20 years ago. It's been able to support gigabit 1000Mbs for about a decade on a D-Link gigabit switch that finally died in March. Then, plug and play, I connected this TP-Link and it's been pretty flawless until the other day when I noticed slow speeds and troubleshooted it back to the switch. A simple unplug and plug fixed it for now. I upgraded the firmware and I'll keep monitoring it.

Just curious. 

Options
Re:Gigabit switch TL-SG108E V6 losing gigabit connection
2023-08-03 06:01:30 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:41:10

Hi @KeithGP 

To fix it once for all, that'll be replacing the cable with a better one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 837

Replies: 3

Related Articles