Intermittent adoption loops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-07 01:39:26 - last edited 2023-08-25 06:46:41
Model: TL-SG3210XHP-M2  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: v2.0.6

I'm at the point where I'm almost giving up on Omada, and throwing all my gear in the dump.

I have a 3210xhp-m2, two EAP670's, an OC200.

ALL connected directly to each other, on the same VLAN, w/ the OC and EAPs powered by the 3210.

I'm getting these adoption loops where the 3210 and one of the EAPs get stuck. EAP comes offline, but switching continues to work.

The only way I've found out of it is power cycling the 3210, which gives me a ten minute downtime, and which (reliably) can't be done remote -- I've got a couple of wifi power switches, but of course, if the APs come offline I can't cycle the relevant power switch. Should also mention that power cycling an EAP through the 3210 doesn't work (PoE reclaim?)

This is a small setup, and even then I'm getting issues. I can't even imagine what it looks like on a large-scale system.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Intermittent adoption loops
2023-08-07 08:58:43 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:06:54

@ASGADFGWT until someone else answers, confirm latest firmware on all devices. I'm sure you have probably already done this.

When you say one EAP gets stuck in a loop, is it always the same EAP? If so, try moving cable one to cable two port and vise versa. See if the issue follows the EAP and cable, or stays with the port. If it follows the EAP and cable, then swap the EAPs out on each end and see if the issue stays with the cable.

Just some ideas. I know how frustrating it can be, particularly when the deployment is small. 

Options
2023-08-08 02:20:05 - last edited 2023-08-08 02:21:31

Hi @ASGADFGWT 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

First, the switch can be remotely rebooted if you can SSH into it. In controller mode, you can still use SSH with CLI. Refer to the CLI guide.

On the controller, you can modify the port of the switch and its PoE. Moreover, you got Reboot Schedule which can be sent to the EAP by Controller.

Second, your intermittent adoption issue, how long is the Ethernet cable?  Can you verify it by a 3ft cable and test it for a day? With this, do you still experience the disconnection/readoption?

Firmware to the EAP, is that the latest? Or it's beta? Specify that.

Does the WIFI still provide Internet? Or it's completely cutting you from the Internet?

Have you checked the log? Is there a G1/0/X was blocked log?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-09 02:40:35

@RickJamesBish

It's almost always the same EAP, but the second one has had it happen too.

All hw are on the latest updates. I think it actually only really started after the 2.0.6 update on the 3210, so maybe that's something.

Will try switching up the ports/cables!

Options
2023-08-09 02:49:07
Thanks for all of the suggestions, will look into it. The EAP that mostly has this happen is about 15m away from the switch. The controller is right next to it, the other EAP is maybe 5m away. Latest firmware on everything. 2.0.6 on the 3210, 1.0.6 on the EAPs (2 x EAP670(US) v1.0) The looping EAP cuts out completely, and I get reconnected to the remaining one. I've checked the logs in the controller web interface, and the log messaged I get are device connected, and ip/netmask changes
Options
2023-08-16 06:10:33 - last edited 2023-08-16 06:10:48

Hi @ASGADFGWT 

Any update on this?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-22 14:22:23

@Clive_A

I have changed out the cables to make sure they aren't the problem, using keystone jacks plus patch cables. I don't think they are the problem anymore, if they ever were.

It's all very intermittent, so not easy to trouble shoot.

When adopting, the switch doesn't reply to pings. And ssh doesn't work even when the switch is in a connected state, so that's a dead end.

Switching itself works, EAPs in adopting state don't.

Physically power cycling the switch is still the only working solution.

Options
2023-08-23 00:59:38

Hi @ASGADFGWT 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

ASGADFGWT wrote

@Clive_A

I have changed out the cables to make sure they aren't the problem, using keystone jacks plus patch cables. I don't think they are the problem anymore, if they ever were.

It's all very intermittent, so not easy to trouble shoot.

When adopting, the switch doesn't reply to pings. And ssh doesn't work even when the switch is in a connected state, so that's a dead end.

Switching itself works, EAPs in adopting state don't.

Physically power cycling the switch is still the only working solution.

I need a diagram of your network and I can escalate your case if I cannot find out the cause.

This is something I rarely see. And I am quite certain there is something special in your network.

The switch is not ping-able during the adoption, quite normal. Resetting and rebooting and back online and ready to be successfully adopted.

Do you have any other VLAN? Is the default network on 192.168.0.1/24?

Do you have another router/DHCP server?

Do you have EAP mesh previous to the reset? Does it still happen now?

How many devices are connected to the switch? To the router? Have you removed everything off the router and switch and adopt them in default VLAN1? Is it stable?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 372

Replies: 7

Related Articles