EAP660 HD Firmware Update - 800Mbps Max Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-07 10:57:15
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.1.1

The access point is not achieving the expected speeds as advertised. This has left me somewhat disappointed, given that I invested $400 AUD in this product – a considerably higher price compared to other access points available at the time of purchase. I believe in the quality of TP-Link products and was willing to invest in a premium device to ensure a superior networking experience.

To give you some context, I have a 1Gbps fiber connection and my desktop connected with Ethernet consistently achieves speeds of over 950Mbps.However, when I test the speed on my wireless devices, such as my phone and a laptop equipped with an AX201 WiFi network card, both are unable to surpass 800Mbps, even when positioned right next to the EAP660 HD. 

I've made sure to eliminate potential external factors that could affect these results, such as interference, distance, and device limitations. I have experimented with different devices and positioning, yet the speed remains capped at around 800Mbps - only rarely going above 815Mbps but never any more. 

Considering the investment I've made and the promise of exceptional speeds, I'm left wondering if there might be an underlying issue that could potentially be addressed through a firmware update. Especially after stumbling across the thread below:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/535712?replyId=1050954

Can you kindly provide some information about the possibility of a new firmware release for the EAP660 HD access point? Will the 660 be included in the EAP Beta which was updated on Aug 7th, 2023?

Cheers!

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP660 HD Firmware Update - 800Mbps Max Speed
2023-08-07 12:02:38 - last edited 2023-08-07 12:30:39

@Sandori 

You can widen of the spectrum... from 20 to 160 MHZ.  Have you tested with those options?

So here's the bug a boo...  The advertised speeds are negotiated air time speeds and or in a perfect environment.  Those numbers are not Real Time Air Time Speeds.  With that said, this doesn't apply just to TP-Link, this applies to ALL vendors.  That is also a collective speed, how much speed the AP can hand out.  

Plus, these are enterprise APs... their hardware and software are built/programmed for high client count and stability under heavy load.  Home wireless routers are not built/programmed the same.  So you are playing with apples and oranges, that including the speed.  If you want 1G regardless, go buy a home wireless router.  Put 20-100 Clients on that router and it will puke.  Enterprise APs can handle the load, but will give you less speeds for the speed test sites.  

You can also try to update the drivers for your wireless card.  BUT it's also a 2x2 AX card... it's a baseline card, and not a 4x4 ax card.  Want higher speeds, get a 4x4 card.  

You paid for Enterprise APs, that will give you performance in a different aspect than you were expecting.  

800 is good speeds... it is.  Not like you will saturate 1G speed across wireless.  IF SO, then these enterprise APs have the horsepower to handle the load.  BUT more than likely, you will not saturate the 1G limit.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-08-08 03:43:12

@Sandori 

did you test it based on iperf? or speed test? 

cannot say for sure but it could be hardware limit. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-08-08 05:10:12 - last edited 2023-08-09 05:51:39

@Sandori 

The way WiFi works, and with the eap660hd having a max channel width of 80mhz.  You are getting the max single client speed on 5ghz.

If you want higher than ~800 single client speed on WiFi, then you either need a 4x4 client, which doesn't exist in the consumer space for WiFi 6, or you need an access point and client that both support 160mhz channel width and preferably the same kind of 160mhz channel width (80+80 vs 160) or you need to wait for a WiFi 7 ap and client with working multilink.

Options