OC 200 controller, initial questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-12 02:03:00 - last edited 2023-08-14 07:32:14
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

I have been running the Omada software controller on my Windows machine for about a year.   I only run the app when I need to make configuration change and it has worked well.   I have been considering trying the OC200 so I can have the controller continuously running namely to capture statistics.   A few questions,

1. What happens if there is a power failure.   Does the OC200 get reset, does its local data become corrupt or should it simply reboot when power is restored to last config?
  2. If a power failure is a problem, will a UPS trigger a safe shutdown on the OC200 should there be a power failure?
  3. Does having the controller running continuously improve performance?
  4. In order to run Fast Roaming, do I need to have the controller running continuously?
  5. Is Enabling fast Roaming on the controller, similar to using mesh Wi-Fi system such as the Deco.   In this example, assume both systems have wired back haul to access points.   
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OC 200 controller, initial questions-Solution
2023-08-13 12:02:53 - last edited 2023-08-14 07:32:14

@s_track 

1. What happens if there is a power failure.   Does the OC200 get reset, does its local data become corrupt or should it simply reboot when power is restored to last config?

-Starts up again where it left off.  Data corruption is theoretically possible, but hard crashes are pretty rare (crashes that require a backup to be reinstalled over a defaulted unit)

2. If a power failure is a problem, will a UPS trigger a safe shutdown on the OC200 should there be a power failure?

-OC200 has no UPS hooks, but if you use a Raspberry Pi or VM on a NAS, then you can use the underlying OS hooks to do the shutdown.

-A 24/7 controller is mandatory for meshing and also fast roaming.  The latter could result in improved performance depending on your users.

4. In order to run Fast Roaming, do I need to have the controller running continuously?

-As above, yes.

5. Is Enabling fast Roaming on the controller, similar to using mesh Wi-Fi system such as the Deco.   In this example, assume both systems have wired back haul to access points.  

-No.  Fast roaming is an interaction between the wifi client and the AP/Controller which ensures seamless transitions during a roaming event (regardless of whether an AP is wired or meshed).  Obviously, if most of your clients never leave the coverage zone of their current AP, this feature is of little benefit.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:OC 200 controller, initial questions-Solution
2023-08-13 12:02:53 - last edited 2023-08-14 07:32:14

@s_track 

-Starts up again where it left off.  Data corruption is theoretically possible, but hard crashes are pretty rare (crashes that require a backup to be reinstalled over a defaulted unit)

-OC200 has no UPS hooks, but if you use a Raspberry Pi or VM on a NAS, then you can use the underlying OS hooks to do the shutdown.

-A 24/7 controller is mandatory for meshing and also fast roaming.  The latter could result in improved performance depending on your users.

-As above, yes.

-No.  Fast roaming is an interaction between the wifi client and the AP/Controller which ensures seamless transitions during a roaming event (regardless of whether an AP is wired or meshed).  Obviously, if most of your clients never leave the coverage zone of their current AP, this feature is of little benefit.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:OC 200 controller, initial questions
2023-08-13 16:02:43

@d0ugmac1 

Makes sense, but I would think a mesh system like deco would use something similar to what Omada is doing, Mesh and fast roaming but wrapped up in a user friendly env with more limits to configuration.  

Thanks for the detailed reply above.  

Options
Re:OC 200 controller, initial questions
2023-08-21 21:04:41

@d0ugmac1 

-I received my OC200  today and installed,  once I had my devices configured I, I removed the ethernet cable to simulate a power failure.   I can report that the configuration was intact once I restored power, so good news.     

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 272

Replies: 3

Related Articles